New York-Style Crumb Cake – America’s Test Kitchen

257 Flares Twitter 3 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 254 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 257 Flares ×

Don’t forget to enter my Giveaway for a Calphalon 7qt Slow Cooker! :)

crumb cake

So I don’t know about you, but I’m a huge crumb cake fan.   The cake is good, but the crumb is just amazing.  Oh and let’s not forget the powdered sugar.   I can remember eating this at least once a week when I was a kid.  I didn’t complain for ice cream or cookies whenever this was in the house.

Crumb cake is definitely a childhood favorite.  Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also easy to eat.  :)  As I type this up I’m wishing I had a piece right now.  Unfortunately it didn’t last too long in this house.  Usually I’ll just nibble recipes I try just to get a taste, but this I couldn’t help eating two pieces.  That’s what a gym membership is for right?  Let’s not comment on the hours I spent on the treadmill working this off.  Instead let’s talk about the butter.. Yes.  Use GOOD butter.  This cake took one block of the most amazing  butter in the world.  Not only is Kerrygold butter amazing just plain on toast, but for baking I find it’s the best.

Okay I’m positive you’ll want to make this, so I’ll tell you how!
I slightly adapted the ingredients which are labeled in bold with the adaption made.

New York-Style Crumb Cake (America’s Test Kitchen)
source: Food.com

1 1/4 Cups Cake Flour
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
6 Tablespoons Butter, softened
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/3 Cup Milk + 1/2 Tablespoon Vinegar (Calls for 1/3 Cup Buttermilk)
1 Large Egg
1 Large Egg Yolk

Powdered Sugar for dusting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Crumb: In a bowl combine sugars, salt, and cinnamon.  Mix well to ensure there are no lumps.
Add melted butter and stir until smooth.  Stir in cake flour and mix until combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
Cake: In a stand mixer, (or bowl with hand mixer) combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.  Place the mixer on med-low speed, and add the butter 1 Tablespoon at a time.    Add the vanilla, milk, egg, and yold and run until the batter is smooth and thick, about a minute.  Line an 8″square baking pan with parchment paper and allow 2″ to overhang on each side. (This helps you removed the cake once it’s done)
Spread the cake batter into the pan, then crumble pea size amounts of the crumb mixture on the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick has minimal to no crumbs.
Cool in pan for 30 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar.

Disclaimer: I purchased the Kerrygold butter used in this recipe and was not compensated in any way to mention them in this post.  I blog about products I love, and love sharing all my great finds with you.

Pin It

9 Responses to “New York-Style Crumb Cake – America’s Test Kitchen”

1. #
    Nichol — February 11, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

I love crumb cake…it’s the best in the morning warm with a hot cup of coffee. This sounds yummy!

2. #
    Manni — February 12, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

ooooh!! this with a cup of tea….mmmmh!! MY favourite:)
    Love it, thanks for sharing the recipe, going to try it minus the eggs, will use apple sauce instead.
    hugs
    Manni

3. #
    Tracy — February 13, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

I LOVE crumb cake, especially with a hot cup of coffee. Your version looks incredible!!

4. #
    Bryon — April 3, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

I always liked the Dolly Madison crumb cakes as a kid, but never had a homemade one. I would love to make this recipe with some gluten free baking mix. I have to stay away from flour. The picture of the Chocolate Ganache Mouse cake looks even better though and I’m going to visit that recipe too. I live how America’s Test Kitchen makes every recipe foolproof. I always watch in HD on my DISH Network employee service because I record on my DVR. I need good quality signal to make it look good on my big screen and DISH always comes through for me. PBS on antenna doesn’t look very good consistently where I live in Denver.

5. #
    Kimberly — June 19, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Looks yummy. I’ll have to try and make this. My husband LOVES these kinds of cakes.

6. #
    phyllisjanes — November 17, 2011 @ 2:51 am

This looks heavenly delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’m going to try it out this weekend.

- kitchens enthusiast

7. #
    Anonymous — April 2, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

This recipe is one of the better recipes out there, especially when it comes to the crumb size.
    One of the best New York-Style Crumb Cakes my family has been enjoying for years comes from Crumb Cake Creations! They’re actually a New Jersey based bakery which ships throughout the US. I’ve yet to find a crumb cake with larger crumbs than these. Plus, they have a ton of varieties aside from the typical crumb cake you’d expect. Carrot, blueberry jam, red velvet, and pumpkin are just a few of the ones I’ve seen. My favorite happens to be Pumpkin Crumb Cake.
    Check them out in time for Easter – you wont be disappointed.

-Annette

8. #
    Rachel — June 25, 2013 @ 2:26 am

I have some Kerrygold butter right now and I couldn’t decide what to use it for! It looks like I clicked on the right recipe!

9. #
    duo residences — November 2, 2013 @ 4:29 pm

Sant Ritz is more than just a home. Its combination of
    condominium status with contemporary ville living.duo residences