Grandma’s Matzo Balls

252 Flares Twitter 5 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 106 Google+ 3 StumbleUpon 138 252 Flares ×

Grandma's Knaidlach - Matzo Balls

Oh how I miss my grandma..   I will never forget talking to her on the phone for an hour just about a recipe or anything that involves food.  We could go on and on forever.  She taught me a very useful tip when I was younger – “Courtney, you can always add more but you can’t take out.”   I used to add too much salt to everything and then I wouldn’t touch it.  Although we found one exception to this rule, and that is chocolate – you can never have enough!  It’s been so hard not to be able to pick up the phone and talk to her about her day.  She was full of life, but her body was running on empty.

My last conversation with her was of her telling me about her upcoming surgery, and how that it would fix everything so I could come visit with the baby.  She talked about how she was so anxious to find out if I was having a girl or boy and what we would name them.  Unfortunately the surgery only made matters worse, and it tore me apart that I knew my grandma wasn’t going to make it.  When she joined my parents, grandpa, and other relatives in heaven I thought to myself, how could this happen?? Why?  Then I realized not only was she with all of the people she loved.. She was out of pain.  She was set free.

Grandma's Knaidlach - Matzo Balls

This is a copy she made for my mother..

So now as I open my recipe box and look at all the memories we have of my grandma I can’t help but smile.  Smile and think of all the times we would talk about recipes.  At first it was hard for me to even think about making anything.  Now it is bringing me comfort.  I was brought up always eating my grandma’s cooking that was full of love, and now I will enjoy it just as if she had made it herself.  Not only me, but my beautiful family.
So I share this recipe for my Grandma’s Knaidlach (Matzo Balls) with you, and hope that you will also enjoy the way that I have for all these years.

Grandma's Knaidlach - Matzo Balls

Grandma’s Matzo Balls
Makes 15-20

4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Seltzer Water (I like to do 3/4)
2 Cup Matzo Meal
Salt + Pepper + Parsley to taste
1 Teaspoon Oil

Beat eggs, seasonings, and seltzer.  Then add into a large bowl with the matzo meal.
Mix until combined.  Place into the refrigerator for about an hour.
Roll into balls and place into a large sauce pan with boiling water with oil.
Boil them for about 20 minutes.
Once they are done add into your favorite chicken soup.

Grandma's Knaidlach - Matzo BallsGrandma's Knaidlach - Matzo BallsGrandma's Knaidlach - Matzo Balls

Pin It

30 Responses to “Grandma’s Matzo Balls”

1. #
    Tamara @ Southern Yankee Mix — June 12, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

You are going to make me cry! Thanks for taking the time to share your Grandma’s recipe. Mine has been gone for almost 2 years now and I miss her SO much. It’s nice that you guys had something that you talked about together and you can now cook and remember her through it. ((hugs))

2. #
    Nichol — June 12, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Courtney what a sweet post, and how thoughtful to share it with us. I have never had a matzo ball, but think I’m going to give them a try, in honor of your grandmother. They sure do look yummy.

3. #
    Rachel — June 13, 2012 @ 2:07 am

This is a beautiful, beautiful post … Absolutely beautiful.

And I adore the way she wrote how the instructions for your mother.

4. #
    Debra Pearlstein — June 13, 2012 @ 3:23 am

What a beautiful and touching post… must have something in my eye. She sounds so wonderful!

5. #
    Tummy Tuck or Bust — June 13, 2012 @ 3:53 am

Thank you so much for sharing this. My grandmother passed away when I was six, but our family “adopted” one who cared for us for many many years. I will make these and think of your grandmother. I have a great challah recipe if you’re interested. Vey easy!

6. #
    Jennifer @TheRebelChick — June 13, 2012 @ 11:37 am

I’ve never tried making matzo balls, thanks for sharing the recipe!

7. #
    April Decheine — June 13, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

I love Matzo Balls! Especially in chicken broth!

8. #
    Kenda @ Remaking June Cleaver — June 13, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

What a wonderful thing to share with us! My husband’s family was amazed when they found I could make matzo ball soup. I think it’s one of the reasons he married me ;)

9. #
    Stefani @ MommyEnterprises.com — June 13, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

What a great post. I don’t think I have ever had these.

10. #
    Donna — June 13, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

I’ve never tried matzo balls before, but would feel honored to try your grandma’s! Thank you for sharing it!

11. #
    Penelope (NYC Mom Blogger) — June 13, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Ooh, bookmarking, I LOVE matzoh ball soup! This is my favorite recipe you ever posted!

12. #
    Jennifer (Double Duty Mommy) — June 13, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

What a sweet post. I’m so glad you have this from your grandma

13. #
    Marcie W. — June 13, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

Such a beautiful post! I’m part Jewish and miss my grandmother’s matzo balls so much. I can’t wait to try these for my family, they look so similar.

14. #
    Billie — June 13, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

I’ve never had a matzo ball, it sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing your story and recipe.

15. #
    Anonymous — June 14, 2012 @ 2:40 am

Matzo Ball soup has been a favorite of mine since I was 4. I never had a home made recipe b/c my grandparents always ordered from the kosher deli. This is a good recipe. I will give it a try soon. Thanks!

16. #
    ♥ Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins ♥ — June 14, 2012 @ 4:06 am

Fantastic post! I’ve never heard of these before but they sure do look good. Thanks for sharing!

17. #
    Stefanie — June 14, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I’ve never had Matzo balls, but they look good!

18. #
    That Bald Chick — June 14, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

I haven’t had Matzo balls in ages!

19. #
    Notorious Spinks — June 14, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

Sorry for your loss. This month will be a year that mom has been gone and I still haven’t been able to cook a “real” since she’s been gone. However, like you I’m learning to focus on the good she left while marinating on the memories.

20. #
    Simply Being Mommy — June 14, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

Those look absolutely delicious. And how awesome you still have her original recipe.

21. #
    Toni Patton — June 15, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I’ve never tried them before. I am so very sorry for your loss!

22. #
    HilLesha — June 15, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

This looks really good!

23. #
    Theresa — June 15, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I was so close to my own Grandmother and we always baked together. Memories of her homemade jam and freshly squeezed orange juice almost make me cry. ((hugs)) What a sweet post.

24. #
    Tricia Nightowlmama — June 16, 2012 @ 7:14 am

how absolutely precious and such a wonderful grandmother you have leaving recipes behind for you to enjoy looks and sounds so tasty

25. #
    Kathleen — June 17, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

I have never tried matzo balls, but they sure so look good.

26. #
    Tammy — June 18, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

It looks easy to make.

27. #
    Anne - Mommy Has to Work — August 7, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

I’ve never had one, but they look good!

28. #
    Anna — August 10, 2012 @ 10:18 am

I hope you did not use artificial sweeteners to make these. Learning about low calorie sweeteners and pregnancy has opened my eyes to healthier lifestyle.

29. #
    /\Heather/\ — October 25, 2012 @ 3:23 am

Looks good. The kinder just had some today at a deli!

30. #
    Anonymous — January 26, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

I have never had these but your story makes me want to try them. Thank you for sharing the recipe. God bless….