" Cake Boss " Red Velvet Cake

8 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 8 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 8 Flares ×
Red Velvet
It was about 2 years ago on my birthday, Chris and I spent the whole day in Hoboken.
We went to various bakeries spending ridiculous money on cupcakes, and loving every minute.
Out of about 2 dozen cupcakes, my FAVORITE was a Red Velvet cupcake from Carlos Bake Shop.
It was amazingly moist and decadent.
I was beyond excited for Buddy’s book to release after hearing that their red velvet recipe would be inside.
I’m not usually a red velvet fan, but this red velvet is my favorite right after chocolate cake.
Red Velvet
So of course as soon as I had the chance I made the recipe in the book,
but it doesn’t taste, look, smell, or feel anything like theirs.
The crumb was dry, and a little grainy.
Which I was shocked because it had shortening..
I don’t like to use shortening in my cakes, but figured this cake was worth it.
Now I understand they aren’t going to give out their recipe – fair enough, but if it kills me I’m going to find a recipe like his.. because that cake is amazing.
The next time I make a red velvet I won’t be using red food coloring, instead I plan on attempting to achieve the color with beetroot.
This cake took more food coloring than I’ve used in about 2 years.
Do you have a tried and true red velvet recipe that you love?
If so please share!! :)
8 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 8 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 8 Flares ×
    Pin It

17 Responses to “" Cake Boss " Red Velvet Cake”

1. #
    Medifast — November 11, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

The color is wonderful, Red Velvet cakes or cupcakes I find are really hard to get a really good coloring.

2. #
    Milk and Honey Mommy — November 11, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Courtney,

I was hoping when I scrolled down that you were sharing the recipe like you usually do :-(. I use to make a red velvet cake, but it called for a box mix and I don’t use those anymore. I do have a red velvet-chocolate cake (I like mixing the best of both worlds) that I make every year for Christmas. It doesn’t call for a bucket of red food coloring and is quite good. Let me know if you would like the recipe milkandhoneymommy @ gmail dot com.

I would love to know how the beetroot juice colored cake turns out.

3. #
    Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 12, 2010 @ 3:24 am

Your pictures are incredible!!

I’m in the hunt for a good red velvet recipe too! I haven’t found one I liked.

I’ve read that using canola oil instead of butter produces a very moist product. I use oil in my cupcakes and it make a huge difference!

4. #
    Anonymous — November 12, 2010 @ 9:38 pm

Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits and learning to cook, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

I’ve started to look for blog help more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

-Amy

5. #
    Mama Cupcake — November 13, 2010 @ 4:08 am

I think I may have found someone who loves cupcakes just like me! Ever since Iron Cupcake ends there has been a whole in my heart. Would you ever want to do a cupcake roundup/contest with me?

Saw you through the Brandfluential section of Momdot (food blog part). :)

mackfamily11@yahoo.com

Beautiful cupcakes btw!

6. #
    Mama Cupcake — November 13, 2010 @ 4:12 am

I also wanted to add (sorry for the novel) that when you mix Dutch Processed Cocoa with Vinegar that is where you get the red color from…its a chemical reaction…also gives the cake much better texture (light, fluffy). I’ll be posting a recipe next week.

7. #
    naomi — November 13, 2010 @ 4:13 am

Okay, so I have to admit I have never had a red velvet cupcake-yikes, huh, but yours look fantastic!

8. #
    Amanda — November 13, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

That cake looks AMAZING!! Well done girl!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

9. #
    Anonymous — November 14, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

My favorite red velvet cupcake recipe is the Magnolia Bakery’s. It is found online. I also prefer to use Sprinkle’s cream cheese frosting recipe. Best of both coasts!

10. #
    Fashion Meets Food — November 16, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

Those cupcakes look absolutely amazing! I have never made red velvet before but definitely think I need to give it a try. Love your blog I am a new follower!

xo

11. #
    Courtney — November 21, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Excited to try a new recipe soon :)

12. #
    Jennifer @ Giveaways and More! — March 6, 2011 @ 1:21 am

I’ve made Paula Deen’s recipe (can be found on Food Network’s website) and it was pretty good. It used buttermilk which gave it a nice tang and vegetable oil instead of shortening but also used red food coloring. My husband is a red velvet connoisseur and he was very pleased!

13. #
    Courtney — March 6, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Thanks Jennifer, I’ll definitely try her recipe! :)

14. #
    Anonymous — March 25, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

I tried the recipe in the Cake Boss cookbook. What a big disappointment.

15. #
    Theresa — August 7, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

That looks so yummy!

16. #
    Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving — September 28, 2012 @ 5:13 am

That looks yummy. I haven’t had red velvet cake in years.

17. #
    Jenechka — December 30, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

JOIN TEAM JOEY NATION!BUFFALO WILD WINGS IN AUBURN, IN Wednesday NOV. 14th from 6-8(Come on out!) You may contact for cpoouns. 10% of all food purchases will be donated to help JOEY!**TEAM JOEY Christmas Extravaganza** Mark your Calendar!!Date: November 17th, 2012Time: 12:00pm 5:00pmLocation: Auburn First Christian Church,910 N. Indiana Ave. Auburn, IN (Just south of Rieke Park) SANTA will be there for a photo Opp, bring your camera, take all the pictures you need and make your Christmas Cards perfect, coloring table for kids to color pages for the Keller’s, Party lite candles, Premier Designs, a Certified Massage Therapist (for on the spot massage), home made Jams, bake sale, 31, Vault Denim, home made blankets, scarves and purses and many more things! SILENT AUCTION: Debrands chocolates gift baskets, American doll clothes, Cookie cottage gift baskets, Italian Grille gift cert, Albright’s Grocery gift Cert., movie baskets, longaberger baskets, Vera Bradley Bags and MUCH MUCH MORE! Please join us in making this a SUCCESS FOR JOEY!!!! Please share and mark your Calendar!