This delicious Caprese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe was sponsored post by Mirum Shopper. It’s an easy meal for the family or even entertaining. You put everything into your casserole dish and let it cook altogether right in the oven!
When I first saw this recipe I couldn’t wait to try it. Will the pasta cook? Will the cheese be completely melted and not stringy? Well, let me tell you. This mac and cheese are now going to be a staple in our house. It was beyond words phenomenal; even my picky 4-year old had two servings, TWO SERVINGS!
We use Hunt’s® canned diced tomatoes! From farm to table, they are peeled using FlashSteam instead of chemicals, which means no chemical by-products go back into the earth. 🙂 Perfect for your favorite recipes that have tomatoes!
Hunt’s grows their fresh tomatoes in Oakdale, California, where are some of the richest soil on this earth. Not to mention some of the most dedicated farmers too. They’ve been doing it all since 1888, the natural way. They even have an organic option in their product line now.
I am so excited to make this recipe again. I think the next time we make it I may even use two cans of Hunt’s tomatoes!
I never thought to put pesto in my mac and cheese and wow did it work well with the tomatoes. My husband said he wants me to turn this into a garlic bread; I think he’s on to something, and we’re going to be trying it out, without the pasta of course. 😉
Did I mention the macaroni in this recipe even goes in uncooked? Time saver!
My favorite part was how easy it is to make this recipe. You could easily whip it up and place it in the oven before guests come. I don’t think you’ll have any leftovers with this one, it’s a keeper for sure!
Caprese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe 🖤 Save
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained (or try Hunt's® Organic)
- 1/3 cup refrigerated basil pesto
- 1 pkg (16 oz each) dry elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 4 ounces fontina cheese , shredded (4 oz = 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese , divided
- 6 tablespoons butter , divided
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray 13x9-inch or shallow 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together drained tomatoes and pesto in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine uncooked macaroni, fontina cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese in large bowl.
- Place in dish in an even layer.
- Microwave 4 tablespoons butter in large microwave-safe bowl on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted.
- Whisk in milk, flour, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over macaroni mixture. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over macaroni.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil; bake 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave remaining 2 tablespoons butter in small microwave-safe bowl on HIGH 20 seconds or until melted. Stir in bread crumbs.
- Top macaroni with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and bread crumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes more or until golden brown on top.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.