Chicken Asparagus Pasta makes for a filling and delicious chicken dinner! We use breaded chicken breasts with our homemade breadcrumbs, fresh asparagus, penne pasta, and of course fresh garlic for this chicken and asparagus pasta recipe.
My family loves pasta! I mean, who doesn’t love a good pasta dish? Growing up my family had pasta around 2-3 times a week, we have it 1-2x a week. Pasta is easy to make and it’s filling too! What I love about this chicken asparagus pasta is you can enjoy it hot or cold. We enjoy it both ways! Fresh and day old right out of the fridge, both scrumptious!
It’s a great pasta dish to make for potlucks too! When asparagus is in season we buy a ton when it’s on sale and freeze it too.
You can add white wine to this recipe or even lemon for lemon asparagus chicken pasta. The lemon really wakes up the flavor and makes it great for summer when serving cold. I’ll just squeeze the fresh lemon juice right onto the pasta before serving.
We make chicken and asparagus pasta pretty often. This is one of our favorite family meals and my husband loves taking leftovers to work. He regularly asks me to make pasta with asparagus and chicken for him and I always make a BIG batch so we have some to enjoy at home too.
If you don’t want to use breaded chicken cutlets you can use grilled chicken. This is even great without chicken if you need a vegetarian dish. Just make you use vegetarian parmesan cheese. You can make this with breaded tofu or just add extra asparagus or other veggies.
How do you make asparagus chicken pasta?
I start off by making the chicken. I dip the chicken right into my breadcrumb recipe and then place it in a hot skillet with a little oil.
We just use the skillet to crisp up the chicken on both sides and then finish cooking in the oven. While the chicken is cooking in the oven we steam the broccoli and cook the penne pasta. If you want you can even place the asparagus into the boiling pasta water at the end to cook it that way, plus you’ll use fewer dishes.
While everything is cooking heat a little olive oil and butter in the pan you used to make the chicken and add in freshly minced garlic.
Once everything is done pour the pasta into the pan with the garlic with about 1/2-1 cup of the pasta water. Now if you use the pasta water and salted keep that in mind when using. Why salt pasta water? Many add salt to pasta water to increase the boiling temperature of the water as well as the flavor of the pasta.
Add in the asparagus and chop up the chicken to add in too. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Cook for 3 minutes and then you can serve this chicken asparagus pasta hot or cold.
I like to add a little fresh parmesan to my pasta, some may not like too much so keep that on the side.
Pin our chicken asparagus pasta recipe to save for later
Chicken Asparagus Pasta
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- Place breadcrumbs into a dish and then cut chicken in half so you have thin breasts.
- Cover the chicken in breadcrumbs and then place into a hot skillet with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Cook chicken until crispy and then flip. Once both sides are crispy finish cooking chicken in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot with boiling water and then add in the asparagus at the end or steam asparagus. We cook the pasta al-dente.
- Add minced garlic, butter, and olive oil to the pan that you used to cook the chicken. Scrap up all the bits of breading.
- Pour the pasta with a little pasta water into the skillet with the garlic mixture.
- Chop up the asparagus and chicken add to the skillet.
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle with a little fresh lemon and more parmesan, or serve as desired.