My homemade Spicy Garlic Tomato Marinara is made with fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic and served over al dente penne pasta. One of our family favorite meals and penne pasta recipes!
My family loves a little spice aside from my little mini chef. We enjoy making homemade tomato marinara. I set aside her portion before I add in the chili peppers.
Sometimes it’s much easier to reach for a jar of pasta sauce than make our own. However, this recipe is SO ridiculously easy and so fresh with little effort. You could have this done in the time it takes to boil the pasta water and cook the pasta.
Reserve a little of that pasta water and add to this sauce and you’re all set. Pasta water is perfect for sauces since it has all the starch from cooking the pasta. You can add your pasta water to thin out a chicken gravy, sauces, and I even keep some in my macaroni when making macaroni and cheese.
I like to pick the tomatoes fresh, and sometimes I get so many tomatoes I don’t know what to do with them all. We love to enjoy them fresh and not cooked, but did you know it’s better to eat tomatoes cooked?
Cooking for about 15-20 increases the antioxidant levels as well as the lycopene. However, there is a loss of Vitamin C. I don’t rely on tomatoes for Vitamin C, and that isn’t a deal breaker for me. I prefer to have more antioxidants and lycopene.
Spicy Garlic Tomato Marinara
- 5 Large Tomatoes , chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5 Cloves Garlic , chopped (1 for each tomato)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cooked Penne
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
- In a small sauce pan cook bring the tomatoes to a boil and reduce to medium-low allowing them to cook down.
- In a small saucepan sauté the olive oil with chopped garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Mix the olive oil and garlic with tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in cooked penne and top with parsley.
- *Notes: If you do not like fresh tomatoes use canned
- If you like a thicker sauce use 1/2-1 tablespoon tomato paste.