This is the best chocolate cake recipe, so moist and filled with the perfect amount of chocolate! We make our chocolate cake recipe from scratch. This homemade chocolate cake could also be used for cupcakes!
I made this cake recipe well over 10 years ago. I have been using it for birthday parties and family get-togethers for YEARS! It’s my most requested dessert and for good reason, this chocolate cake recipe is DELICIOUS! This chocolate cake recipe is from scratch and you can even use organic sugar and brown sugar without any issues. There will be a slight difference in the crumb when you use natural sugars, but it’s still just as delicious. If you’re looking for a simple chocolate cake recipe, this is it!
WHY DO YOU PUT COFFEE IN YOUR CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE?
You won’t really taste the coffee in this chocolate cake, but you will taste a rich chocolate flavor! The coffee actually boosts the chocolate and makes it really stand out. If you don’t want to add coffee you can use coffee extract instead. I always keep instant coffee around the house so I can quickly use it to make this chocolate cake recipe!
HOW TO MAKE A MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE:
The reason we use the “buttermilk” in this recipe is to really make the chocolate cake moist. Vinegar and Milk mixed together to create a buttermilk substitute. Buttermilk breaks down the tough gluten in the flour and results in a moist and tender crumb.
We mentioned earlier that using natural sugar can result in a different crumb, we prefer using regular sugar for cakes for this reason. Our best chocolate cake recipe does best with regular sugar for a good crumb, but if you don’t mind a little more nooks you can goahead and use organic raw cane sugar.
Don’t forget to pin our best chocolate cake recipe to your favorite pinterest board.
This Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe from Scratch is perfect for cakes and cupcakes, literally the best chocolate cake ever for birthday parties!
easy chocolate cake recipe
Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe from Scratch
- 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk + 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 Cup Hot Coffee
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 stick Butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350.Combine all ingredients into a stand mixer and mix for 2-3 minutes.The batter will have a runny consistency. Fill cupcakes about 2/3 full, or two 9" cake pans 2/3 full.Bake for cupcakes for 12-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted shows minimal crumbs. Bake cakes for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted shows minimal crumbs. Cool on wire wrack.