Last night Chris was drawing with Kay. Mommy was in a helicopter above them he said.. Lately he’s been calling me a Helicopter mom, just to be funny. In all honesty I’m a helicopter mom (well just a mom, but people tend to call parents who are aware of their children helicopter parents) and proud of it. In fact I am not ashamed over my hovering. During my hovering I’ve witnessed my daughter and her cousins have little fights and I’ve been able to settle the feud after I saw her flying head first into the bottom part of the couch/floor. I’ve also seen her fall down to the ground and get plenty of bumps and bruises playing. I hover, but within a distance. I feel there’s NOTHING wrong with keeping my eyes on my child. I can see if I was following a 10 year old around at the playground, but my 2 year old.. seriously?! Who wouldn’t follow their toddler?
This morning after hubby’s drawing last night I saw Scary Mommy’s letter telling us “Dear Helicopter Moms, You’re Ruining it for everyone else“. All I could think is.. I’m Helicopter Mom, Watch Me Hover!
Obviously she has a bit of helicopter in her too, as you can see she’s hovering over us. Now that she shared her side, let me share mine!
- I’m sorry you get annoyed at my hovering over MY child. However I’m not hovering of yours. Maybe that one helicopter mom was, but that wasn’t me.
- If I see a child who needs help, I’m going to help them.
- If I see a child who looks lost, I’m going to help them.
- If I see a child who is stuck, I’m going to help them.
- If I see a child who wants to play with us, they can join in on the fun.
The fact is, life is short and I love spending every moment I can with my child. We don’t come to the park for me to take a break from parenting. I come to the park so I can be a kid again with my kid. We get messy, we run around, we laugh, we have fun TOGETHER. My daughter has fun with other kids and I let her play. I just hover a little distance away.
- My 2 year old does NOT realize how high that slide is.
- She does not realize that she can’t just jump down like that 10 year old just did.
- She does not realize that she can’t hold onto the monkey bars and go across like the bigger kids.
My daughter and I climb up and down the slide and while we’re trying to climb up another child RUSHES to go down the slide and push her down.
Can I tell you how many times I’ve been at the park and one of the moms on the bench (bench-warmers you call them) freaks when they can’t find their child? There’s always over 50+ children at our park. Good luck finding yours. My daughter is being a kid, my daughter is getting dirty, my daughter is having a blast. I’m not sorry for the memories and fun we’re having, I’m sorry that you’re missing out. It seems to me like you’re more worried about me than I am about you. I preferred to be called a mom, but I’m not ashamed of being protective. Like I said..I’m Helicopter Mom, Watch Me Hover!