This vanilla cake recipe is the perfect birthday cake for your party. Learn how to make vanilla cake and pair with our vanilla buttercream frosting or chocolate buttercream frosting recipe!
If you’re looking for an easy vanilla cake recipe this is it! You don’t need to buy a box mix to when you can make the best vanilla cake recipe from scratch!
I’ve been making this homemade vanilla cake recipe for years! My family loves when I bake sweet treats and I stopped baking for quite a bit, and now I’m happy to be back in my baking apron! Cakes were always my favorite to make, I love piping and really need to practice cake decorating, I’m pretty rusty since I made my first Wilton cake in 2009!
I’ve always loved baking but didn’t really make huge cakes until 2009 actually. I would make cakes in a square pan and use a box, not dissing the box, but homemade always has a better aftertaste. I can definitely tell the difference between store-bought and homemade cakes. I always add more ingredients to a cake mix actually.
vanilla cake ingredients
- baking powder
how to make vanilla cake
Place the oven rack in the center of the oven so that the cake will get even heat. Once you have the rack placed in the correct spot you can preheat your oven to 350 degrees f. You can now either use nonstick spread or grease and flour your pans. We like to use two 9″ rounds for our vanilla cake recipe.
Now you’ll want to sift together the dry ingredients, once that is done you can set aside.
Cream together the vanilla, butter, and sugar until nice and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Once the sugar and butter is creamed you can add in 1 egg at a time.
Alternate the milk and flour mixture and mix until combined.
Pour the vanilla cake batter into your pans and bake.
You’ll want to bake cakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Once they’re done you can place the pans on a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing cakes from pans
baking tip: always start with room temperature ingredients.
PIN our Vanilla Cake Recipe to save for later!
Vanilla Cake Recipe
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 2 3/4 cups flour all purpose
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Place the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 f degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9" round pans.
- Sift together the flour baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer cream the vanilla, butter and sugar together until nice and fluffy, 2-3 mins.
- Add in the eggs one at a time.
- Alternate the flour mixture and milk into the batter and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into desired pans.
- Bake cakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place pans on a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing cakes from pans.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.