Pasta.. It’s a regular thing in our home! We used to enjoy our pasta loaded with a meat sauce, but I now prefer mixing healthy with satisfying. Not everything healthy has to taste horrible – in fact some of my favorite recipes are healthy versions! I’ll never forget when my parents were still here we would go over my grandparent’s house and have a huge pasta dinner every Sunday. Sauce, Pasta, Meatballs, Stuffed Shells, literally carb overload.
My favorite memory is when my grandpa would take a spoon and fork and twirl his pasta to get a bite on his fork without the mess. I never knew how to do it and “thought” I was.. Now I’m a pro, but before I just made a mess trying not to make a mess. Thankfully my grandpa is still here, but my parents and my grandma have since passed. Now I enjoy those memories so much and every single time I make a huge pot of sauce I think of those memories of my father getting so excited for dinner – he looked forward to every Sunday. I never really got to have those moments of enjoying cooking for my parents and I really wish I could have. Cooking for my own little family is a passion. I tend to cook with love and lots of it!
We ONLY use Barilla. If I can’t make it homemade Barilla is just as good. Now instead of using the traditional white pasta we use Better For you Pastas.. including: whole grain, veggie, white-fiber, and plus. One of my personal favorites is the yellow box from Barilla called Plus. It’s an excellent source of protein, fiber, & ala ogema-3! I’m a label reader and am happy to see that this pasta has legumes, lentils, chickpeas, flaxseed, barely, oats, and spelt in the flour! Seeing that and the sale of $4/5 at my local Stop and Shop make me stock up! I take pride in loading our pasta dishes with fresh vegetables and still a little bit of meat in it. When I use ground chicken or turkey you can barely notice the difference thanks to all the wonderful flavors going on. It’s healthier, stretches the dollar, and satisfies the tummy. What more could a girl ask for? My recipe is a keeper in this house and I hope you enjoy it too! If you do try it please let me know how you liked it! Plus if you want more Better for you pasta recipes head over to this pinterest board and get social updates by following Barilla on Facebook!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of washed and sliced leeks
- 1 bunch of celery sliced, about 5-6 stalks
- 3 shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 diced roma tomatoes
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (1lb can)
- 1 can tomato sauce (1lb can)
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot heat olive oil and add in leeks, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. Once translucent add in fresh and canned tomatoes, as well as seasonings. Cook for about an hour and a half. Once time is elapsed start the turkey. In a skillet with olive oil brown turkey with worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Once fully cooked add to sauce and cook for another hour and a half. Start making pasta and once done pour sauce over pasta - garnish with fresh basil, enjoy!