This baked hot wings recipe will be your favorite appetizer for game night. No need to order buffalo wings with this easy baked chicken wings recipe with hot wing sauce!
Instead of frying our hot wings, I actually make oven baked hot wings. I like making baked chicken wings because when you fry them in oil it adds a ton of fat. I bake my hot wings by using a baking rack so this way the fat drips from the wings onto the baking sheet. I still make the hot sauce just like my dad. I’ll never forget him sipping it right from the spoon, he even loved putting french fries in hot sauce, so good!
HOT WINGS SAUCE
Whenever I think of hot wings I think of my daddy. My dad made the hottest hot wings. He was really well known for his hot wing sauce and he even made his homemade hot sauce for our local pizzeria, friends, family, even neighbors. He was super secretive about how he made his hot sauce recipe. He would mix a ton of spices for his HOT hot sauce and then place it into an unlabeled spice jar.
My father passed away when I was 18 years old and I never got the recipe, BUT thankfully, when he made his regular hot wings I did pay attention. I loved watching him put the hot wings in the fryer and hearing the sizzling sound. The house smelled horrible and my gosh when you cook with a fryer your hair really stinks, even your clothes, but by gosh I miss those days. He was very particular about the brands he used. He was picky about hot sauce brands and only used Crystal Hot Sauce. When he bought it he bought the big gallon size. Then for the butter, it was always Land O’Lakes whipped butter. He mixed those two ingredients together for mild hot wings.
How to make baked hot wings
First things first, you’ll need to make the flour coating or you can make naked wings. Naked just meaning no flour just patted dry.
Once I put all the seasonings into the flour I mix it up and get the wings ready.
Place the wings onto a piece of paper towel and then put another piece of paper towel over them to really dry them this way the flour sticks
After they are dry you can place them into the flour mixture.
I place them right on the baking rack. Once they’re all coated I lightly spray the wings with oil, an oil mister works really well for this.
Bake the wings and then once they’re done place them into a large bowl.
I pour the sauce right over the wings and toss them in the sauce. I then place the wings BACK into the oven on the rack to back for another 5 minutes.
After they’re done in the oven I put them back into the sauce for a final coating of hot sauce.
CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE
Baked Hot Wings
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
Baked Hot Wings
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granulated
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs chicken wings
Hot Wing Sauce
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the flour and seasonings.
- Pat the chicken wings dry and then place into the flour mixture.
- Arrange the wings onto a baking sheet with a wire rack.
- Lightly spray the wings with oil and bake for 40-50 minutes, they're done when they read 165 degrees F internally and nice and crispy.
- Make the sauce while the wings are almost done, just melt the butter and hot wing sauce in a small saucepan together.
- Once the wings are done mix them in a large bowl with the sauce.
- Bake the wings in the oven after coating with sauce for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven and coat once more in the hot sauce.
- Serve with celery or as desired.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.