These Banana Blueberry Muffins are a great way to use overripe bananas! We love making them whenever we have bananas that are ripe and ready.
This is a quick and easy muffin recipe and goes perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. We love using ripe bananas instead of tossing them and these muffins are perfectly sweetened by the overripe bananas.
Want an even healthier banana muffin? Try out our Oat Flour Banana Muffins.
Recipe ingredients and notes
- Blueberries – We love using fresh or frozen blueberries for this recipe.
- Butter – We use country crock plant butter when making them dairy free.
- Eggs – If you cannot have eggs, you can use 1/4 cup of banana or applesauce per egg.
- Bananas – This helps add sweetness and moisture to the muffins and the banana flavor.
- Vanilla – Real vanilla extract is a must for the best flavor
- Flour – We use all-purpose flour, but your favorite gluten-free one-for-one flour can also be used.
- Baking Powder – This helps our muffins rise.
- Milk – You can use regular milk or non-dairy milk, and our preferred is full-fat oat milk.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt helps balance all the flavors.
How to make Banana Blueberry Muffins
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together the butter and sugar. Then mix in the banana, vanilla, and eggs. It will break the mixture, but don’t worry it will come back together.
Mix in the flour, and then once fully combined, fold in the blueberries.
Scoop the muffin batter into a lined baking muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Allow the muffins to cool before eating.
Recipe tips and variations
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Prevent blueberries from sinking to the bottom by tossing them in about 2 tablespoons of flour.
- These muffins can be made with any other add-ins, from dried fruit, chocolate, fresh fruit, or even nuts and seeds.
- Love chocolate? Add some!
- Add a sprinkle of sugar to the top to make them more bakery-like.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover muffins in an air-tight container on the counter for 2-3 days.
- Freeze: To freeze the muffins, place them in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for 3-4 months.
- Reheat: To reheat the muffins, you can microwave them for about 10 seconds.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! This works well with frozen bananas as well. Just make sure they were ripe or overripe before freezing as they’re naturally sweeter.
Absolutely! We bake mini banana chocolate chip muffins all the time! You’ll need to adjust the time. We usually bake for 12-15 minutes.
Banana Blueberry Muffins
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter softened, we use country crock plant butter for dairy free
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas use overripe bananas for more sweetness
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk we use oat milk
- 1 pint blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/8 cup sugar for sprinkling onto muffins, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease if not using liners and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer bowl or bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the mashed banana.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add in the vanilla last.
- Add the flour mixture to creamed butter mixture alternating with the milk.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin filling 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the tin after 10 minutes of cooling and place them onto a cooling rack to allow them to cool before enjoying.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!