These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a great way to use overripe bananas other than banana bread! Perfect with breakfast or after dinner.
These muffins are so quick and easy to make, and they taste so good! If you love muffins, you’re going to love these. You can add more of a bakery feel by adding sugar to the tops of the muffins before baking.
Want an even healthier banana muffin? Try out our Oat Flour Banana Muffins.
Recipe ingredients and notes
- Chocolate Chips – We love enjoy life chocolate chips and chunks for these muffins to make them dairy free.
- Butter – We use country crock plant butter when making them dairy free.
- Eggs – If you cannot have eggs, you can use 1/4 cup of banana or applesauce per egg.
- Bananas – This helps add sweetness and moisture to the muffins and the banana flavor.
- Vanilla – Real vanilla extract is a must for the best flavor
- Flour – We use all-purpose flour, but your favorite gluten-free one-for-one flour can also be used.
- Baking Powder – This helps our muffins rise.
- Milk – You can use regular milk or non-dairy milk, and our preferred is full-fat oat milk.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt helps balance all the flavors.
How to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together the butter and sugar. Then mix in the banana, vanilla, and eggs. It will break the mixture, but don’t worry!
Slowly mix in the flour, and then once fully combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
Scoop the muffin batter into a lined baking muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Allow the muffins to cool before eating.
Recipe tips and variations
- You can use milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips.
- Add more fruit for variety, like strawberries or raspberries.
- Prevent any added fruit from sinking to the bottom by tossing them in about 2 tablespoons of flour.
- These muffins can be made with other add-ins, from dried fruit, chocolate, fresh fruit, or even nuts and seeds.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover muffins in an air-tight container on the counter for 2-3 days.
- Freeze: To freeze the muffins, place them in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for 3-4 months.
- Reheat: To reheat the muffins, you can microwave them for about 10 seconds.
Frequently asked questions
To bake mini banana chocolate chip muffins, you’ll need to adjust the time. We usually bake for 12-15 minutes.
Yes! This works well with frozen bananas as well. Make sure they were ripe or overripe before freezing for the best flavor.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter softened, we use country crock plant butter for dairy free
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas use overripe bananas for more sweetness
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk we use oatly for dairy free
- 1 cup chocolate chips more for topping if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease if not using liners and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer bowl or bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the mashed banana.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add in the vanilla last.
- Add the flour mixture to creamed butter mixture alternating with the milk.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin filling 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the tin after 10 minutes of cooling and place them onto a cooling rack to allow them to cool before enjoying.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!