Try our delicious and healthy no bake fall treat; chocolate covered apple donuts! Freshly picked crisp apples that we covered in triple chocolate. It’s a fun, healthy snack for the fall season when you pick apples. Serve to guests and wow them for sure, plus it’s easy for your mini chef to help make them. 🙂 They’re a great vegetarian option so everyone can enjoy. You could even make them raw vegan treats if you choose vegan toppings.
First things first, core your apples! We love our oxo apple corer.
These are some sad donuts, let’s make Chocolate Covered Apple Donuts!
My mini chef loves to bake, and we have had some cooler weather, but in September the sun is still shining down and keeping it warm outside. We love to go and pick fresh apples from the orchard. We enjoy them on their own, and we also love to use them in recipes like our maple apple and pork breakfast sausages, chocolate caramel apple nachos, easy healthy snacked sliced apples (no browning!), best fruit salad for kids, or even our fruit punch recipe!
It’s so much fun to make, decorate, and especially eat these chocolate covered apple donuts. The topping options are endless, and you could use triple chocolate like us, we used allergy free, vegan and non gmo mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, and mini white chocolate chips. Other options include caramel, nuts, seeds, sprinkles, dried fruits or even fresh fruit! There’s no wrong way to make them; they’re so right. 🙂 We lay them out on a parchment lined baking sheet to contain the mess and even to set up on.
Chocolate Covered Apple Donuts - fresh apples dipped into chocolate and sprinkled with chocolate chips and chunks.
- 4 apples
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- toppings of choice
- Wash, core and slice your apples. Make sure you cut off the bottom and top, serve for snacking.
- Place your apple rings in a bowl filled with water and lemon juice. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While apples are soaking, melt the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips with coconut oil.
- Drain and dry your apples and start dunking into the melted chocolate.
- Place chocolate covered apple donuts onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- While still wet, top your donuts with desired toppings.
- Once you're finished covering and topping, place into the fridge to harden.
- Enjoy within 48 hours, store in the refrigerator.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Fall Harvest Cake // Momma Lew
- Pumpkin Spice Sauteed Apples // Finding Zest
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dip // We’re Parents
- Homemade Applesauce Recipe for Kids // Eating Richly
- Maple Cinnamon French Toast in a Mug // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Foil Packet Apricot Salmon // Vegging at the Shore
- Homemade Apple Cider // O’Boy! Organic
- Butterbeer Bark // My Mini Adventurer