Chocolate Pancakes are a fun and easy breakfast! Learn how to make chocolate pancakes that are delicious and even freezer friendly with your chocolate pancake recipe. Plus a recipe for cream cheese syrup that goes great with these chocolatey pancakes.
Who doesn’t love chocolate and who doesn’t love pancakes? My family could be happy eating pancakes every single day for breakfast. We don’t enjoy them daily, but we like to enjoy them on family day, and the weekends we enjoy homemade pancakes too.
How to make Chocolate Pancakes
So how do you make chocolate pancakes? It’s easy! Our chocolate pancake recipe is super simple. To make chocolate pancakes you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla sugar (don’t have vanilla sugar? use regular sugar + 1 teaspoon of vanilla into the mix)
- cacao powder (you can also use cocoa powder)
- baking powder
- sea salt
- chocolate chips
In a large bowl combine the pancake ingredients. Once the mix is thoroughly combined, you can start to make chocolate pancakes! Heat a frying pan with a little butter and cook the pancakes on both sides for about 2-4 minutes. As the pancakes cook, you can stack them.
If you do not want double chocolate chip pancakes meaning any chocolate chips in your pancakes, you can leave them out and enjoy them as double chocolate pancakes, or you could even swap out the chocolate chips for white chocolate chips.
Cooking Tip: want even more chocolate? Place some chocolate chips in between the pancakes as they come off the pan. Once you top with another hot pancake, the chocolate will melt between the pancakes for even more chocolate!
If you made too many chocolate pancakes you can freeze the leftovers, we recommend removing all the air from the freezer safe bag or container to prevent freezer burn. So now when your family asks for chocolate pancakes, how do you make chocolate pancakes? Remove a batch from the freezer! 🙂
Freezing Tip: Place parchment paper between the pancakes, so they don’t stick together OR freeze the pancakes on a silicone mat in the freezer. Once they are completely frozen, you can place them in a container/bag for freezing, and they won’t stick together as they’ve already been frozen.
These double chocolate pancakes are great with syrup or even some cream cheese syrup. I like to top with either syrup and then a bunch of clementines or strawberries. The combination of chocolate and orange is sensational, especially with this double chocolate chip pancakes.
We love pouring the cream cheese syrup right over the pancakes; it’s delicious!
Chocolate Pancake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- * clementines for garnish/flavor
- For the pancakes: In a large bowl combine the pancake ingredients.
- Heat a frying pan with a little butter and cook the pancakes on both sides for about 2-4 minutes.
- Once done place them in a stack and if you want add about 5 chocolate chips between each cooked pancake.
- For the cream cheese syrup: Mix the ingredients for the syrup until smooth.
- Drizzle the cream cheese syrup over the chocolate pancakes.