Make our Instant Pot Bottom Round Roast with a flavorful broth served over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes. Cooking bottom round roast in the pressure cooker makes it fork tender and fall apart!
Cooking bottom round roast can be tricky. It’s a very tough cut of meat, but when done correctly, it’s incredible. You can roast bottom round roast beautifully with pink still in the center. I grew up with my mom boiling it on the stove, and the flavor was delicious, but the bottom round roast was tough, and you needed a fork and knife.
Now we have the instant pot and making bottom round roast in a pressure cooker is a game changer for this cut of beef. It falls apart just by picking it up with a spoon, and you can easily break it apart with a fork with minimal effort.
Recipe ingredients and notes
- Avocado Oil – you’ll need this to sear the meat. Searing adds more flavor.
- Bottom Round Roast – You could also do this with a chuck roast, brisket, or even a London broil. We recommend 30 minutes for a London broil.
- Seasonings: To add flavor, we use granulated garlic, pepper, parsley, and most importantly, Lawry’s seasoned salt.
- Low Sodium Beef Broth – My mother always used beef broth. For now, I use water to limit the sodium for our family, and it still tastes incredible.
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make instant pot bottom round roast see the recipe card below.
First, turn the instant pot onto saute mode and add the avocado oil.
Next place the bottom round roast into the instant pot’s pot and sear on all sides for about 2-3 minutes per side and rotate once it easily releases. You want it to get nicely browned to create more flavor.
After browning, add in the seasonings and broth or water. Place the lid onto the instant pot and set it sealing.
Cook the bottom round roast on high pressure and set the time for 60 minutes. Once the instant pot is done cooking let the instant pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Carefully quick release anytime after the 10 minutes have elapsed.
Remove the meat from the instant pot and set it on a cutting board. Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or shredding. Once cut, return it to the instant pot. Place the lid on and set it to sealing.
Cook for another 10 minutes to allow the broth to cook into the sliced meat.
When it’s done cooking you can carefully quick release and then serve the meat with the broth over rice or mashed potatoes.
Recipe tips and variations
- Don’t toss the extra broth, it’s super flavorful and great for cooking veggies or even making rice. Just swap the broth for the water in our instant pot jasmine rice recipe.
- Add any veggies you like to this meal. We will sometimes add potatoes, carrots, onions, or even mushrooms.
- You can also make this on the stovetop, but you’ll want to cook it for at least 3-4 hours.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any bottom round roast leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 4 days.
- Freeze: To freeze leftover bottom round roast, place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: To reheat instant pot bottom round roast, we suggest using a sauce pan a deep skillet. Add a bit of broth with a few slices of the roast beef and cook until the meat is hot. Allow to cool slightly before enjoying. You can also reheat in the microwave.
How to serve
We love serving with our instant pot jasmine rice and a side salad. Also, try over white rice or buttered noodles. Want more? Add veggies to this instant pot bottom round roast to make it a stew.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! This recipe works well with chuck roast and brisket. Another affordable option is London broil, but you’ll want to reduce the cooking time to 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes.
When we slice it and then place it back for another 10 minutes, we do this really get all of the flavors into each slice.
After slicing, place the sliced bottom round roast back into the instant pot on sealing mode for 10 minutes on high pressure. This will make it even more tender.
Bottom Round Roast Instant Pot Recipe
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 lb bottom round roast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoned salt use 1 1/2 tablespoons if using water
- 4-5 cups low sodium beef broth or water (the meat and broth created will still be flavorful)
- Turn the instant pot on saute mode and add the olive oil. Allow the oil to sizzle before adding the meat.
- Place the bottom round roast into the instant pot and sear on all sides for about 2-3 minutes per side and rotate once it easily releases.
- Once the meat is fully browned on all sides, place the flat bottom side down and add in the seasonings and broth or water.
- Place the instant pot lid on and set it to sealing. Cook on high pressure and set the time for 60 minutes. Once the instant pot is done cooking let the instant pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Carefully quick release anytime after the 10 minutes have elapsed.
- Remove the meat from the instant pot and set it on a cutting board. Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or shredding. Once cut, return it back to the instant pot. Place the lid on and set it to sealing. Cook for another 10 minutes to allow the broth to cook into the sliced meat.
- Carefully quick release after the instant pot is done and then serve the meat with the broth over rice, buttered noodles, or mashed potatoes.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!