Mississippi Pot Roast is a 7 ingredient beef crockpot recipe. This crock pot Mississippi pot roast is bursting with flavor and form tender.
This is an easy crock pot roast recipe you toss in, first thing in the morning and come home to a comforting dinner. Serve over a bed of mashed potatoes, piled in a bun, etc.
WHAT IS CROCK POT MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST
Crock Pot Mississippi pot roast, Mississippi roast is famous for having a tender fall apart texture, that is loaded with flavor. Some call this Mississippi mud roast, or a forbidden roast.
Pepperoncini peppers, dry ranch powder, au jus mix, and more all come together for one incredible pot roast. This is anything but bland.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Beef Roast
- Pepperoncini Peppers and Juice
- Dry ranch powder
- Dry au jus packet
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST
- The first thing is add your oil into pan and let it get hot.
- Season the beef roast with salt and pepper and sear both sides, until browned.
- Transfer the pot roast to the crock pot.
- Sprinkle with dry mixes, add in pepper juice, top with butter slices and peppers.
- Cover and cook as directed, and then shred or slice and serve!
RECIPE TIPS AND VARIATIONS
- You can use hot or mild peppers. It is all a preference on how hot or mild you want your roast to be.
- This recipe can be made with a pork roast as well. Same ingredients.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, mashed potatoes, pasta, or pile on a bun.
- Add in a packet of brown gravy mix for added flavor along with the other two packets.
There are a handful of ways for you to change up this slow cooker pot roast, so let me know what changes you might make below!
How long do you cook Mississippi roast crock pot?
Depending on the size of your roast will vary. I tend to cook roast for 8-10 hours on low. This allows the pot roast to cool low and slow and break down and create tender fall apart beef.
Do I have to use butter in this pot roast recipe?
I find that butter really helps to bring all the flavors together, as well as adding a richness. If you don’t want to use butter leave it out. Do not swap with margarine.
Margarine is a mix with oil, and it could make your roast very greasy. So if you end up not wanting butter, just leave it out.
Can I use chicken instead of beef roast for Mississippi recipe?
You might have heard of the Mississippi chicken! If you have, you absolutely can swap the beef with chicken breast, boneless thighs in exchange.
It works just the same, and you will get the incredible flavor. Shred and pile on a bun, serve over potatoes, etc. This chicken recipe will work with either protein.
Mississippi Pot Roast
- 3-4lbs chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1 packed dry au jus gravy mix
- 1/2 cup pepperonchini juice
- 8 pepperoncini peppers
- 1/4 cup butter cut into slices – (1/2 stick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Place the roast into the skillet and brown on each side for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer roast to crock pot and pour any juices over the roast.
- Sprinkle with ranch dressing and gravy mixes onto the roast.
- Add peppers and sliced butter on top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender
- Serve with mashed potatoes or your favorite sides.
More Tasty Crock Pot Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @CourtneysSweets on Instagram and hashtag it #CourtneysSweets so we can share it!