Natural Remedies for Mastitis and how to avoid taking antibiotics. We’re sharing simple and natural steps to take before you consider antibiotics for mastitis.
Ohhh the pain AND the color! I’ll never forget seeing my entire breast swollen, hard as a rock, hot to the touch, painful and dark pink. I freaked out! WHAT IS THIS?!
I’ve had mastitis once during our 2 1/2 year journey of breastfeeding. I’ve also had some close calls with mastitis (plugged ducts are also painful!) and thankfully due to my quick response I have usually been okay. Being allergic to most antibiotics I try to limit the use of the ones I can take – that being said the ones I can take are not medicines or antibiotics compatible with breastfeeding. Everyone should try Natural Remedies for Mastitis since it can’t harm you or baby. It’s the best way to heal your body naturally. This is also good for plugged ducts that can lead to mastitis.
Natural Remedies for Mastitis
- Swallowing Raw Garlic – Garlic is highly recommended for it’s antibiotic properties. It can fight illnesses and infections and actually healed my mastitis! Cut up 2-3 cloves into a few pieces and swallow with orange juice to help it go down better. (Treat this as you would an antibiotic as garlic is a natural antibiotic. Make sure to take for 7 days, even after symptoms go away.)
- Vitamin C – Make sure to get enough Vitamin C!
- Stay Hydrated – DRINK WATER! You think “don’t drink or it may make the clog worse”, but it actually helps flush out the infection.
- Massage and Pumping – I massaged the affected breast in a warm bath/shower and expressed some milk. Really massage the area where the knot is – you can usually feel it. You can also use a warm compress with massage. You can also alternate with a cold compress for pain.
- Nurse, Nurse, Nurse – Nurse with the affected breast first. Baby will always have a stronger suck with the first breast. By nursing baby and massaging at the same you’re really getting the clog out. Rub in a circular motion and don’t be afraid to apply pressure. Also try different nursing positions to really unclog that duct.
- Be Free – In other words, take off your bra! Don’t hold your girls down when they’re not feeling well. Kapeesh?!
disclaimer: we’re not medical professionals and do not claim to be. these steps have helped us, but may not help you. mastitis does not always require antibiotics and these a great Natural Remedies for Mastitis and Plugged Ducts.
Also check out >>