Easy Cake Mix Cupcakes! These Milk and Cookies cupcakes make for a fun dessert everyone will love! Learn know how to improve boxed cake mix by doctoring it up with simple ingredients you already have at home.
HOW TO MAKE CUPCAKES WITH CAKE MIX?
Typically most usually follow the directions on the box, but with a doctored cake mix you add ingredients to the cake mix! Have fun and think outside just using the box. You can add in a bunch of different ingredients to make them have that homemade taste.
We make homemade buttercream, add fun toppings like cookies and fun straws like we did with our milk and cookies cupcakes! You can do this for cakes and cupcakes. Cupcakes are always more fun if you ask me and they’re much easier to decorate, especially for kids.
HOW TO IMPROVE BOXED CAKE MIX
Add in your favorite extracts, maybe some chocolate chips or even sprinkles! We don’t add in additional sugar as the cake mix is already sweet enough. There’s so many fun ways to add in flavors and fun bits. To bulk up the cake we use some self rising flour, butter, and even a little lemon juice. Some use sour cream or even a dried pudding mix in the batter, we use eggs, lemon, water, butter and flour. When making a chocolate cake mix I will add in coffee extract or even some boiled coffee like I use in my homemade chocolate cake. Coffee gives chocolate such a deeper rich flavor, you won’t taste the coffee at all!
TIPS FOR THE BEST CAKE MIX CUPCAKES
- Get creative with the flavors! We love adding in some almond extract, the coffee extract like we mentioned above for chocolate cake mix, and you could even use citrus extracts as well.
- Add in fun bits like sprinkles, chocolate chips, chopped fruit, or even stuff a bite size candy bar in the middle for a fun surprise.
- Make the frosting homemade or use store bought, either way we recommend using a piping bag with a frosting tip for a pretty presentation
- Get wild with the toppings – no one said it has to be a plain cupcake! Add some cookies, sprinkles, chocolate chips, chocolate ganache, have fun with it!
- Stuff surprises inside! We love cutting a little bit out of the cupcake and then stuffing in sprinkles or even m&ms. It makes for a fun surprise when someone bites the cupcake.
This article was written by Courtney’s Sweets, the recipe is from our guest chef Lisa.
Cake Mix Cupcakes Milk and Cookies
Cake Mix Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons milk
- 24 mini chocolate chip cookies optional
- fun straws optional
- Put all of the ingredients cake mix cupcake ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until combined
- Place into a muffin tin with cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack, while they cool start making the buttercream.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the softened butter, powdered sugar, and milk.
- Once the ingredients are completely combined and there are no lumps you can scoop the buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton’s 1M icing tip attached.
- Once cupcakes are cooled frost each cupcake with the buttercream.
- Place one cookie on the side of each frosted cupcake.
- Cut fun straws into thirds and insert one into each cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!