This Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is rich and creamy and full of flavor. Perfect for topping cake, cupcakes, and even cookies!
This chocolate cream cheese frosting is homemade and oh so delicious. It’s perfect for cupcakes and cakes. You can easily use it for piping, decorating, or even using a spatula to decorate your cakes and cupcakes.
For the full ingredient amount and instructions how to make chocolate cream cheese frosting, see the recipe card below.
Use a stand mixer or hand mixer with a large bowl and combine the butter and cream cheese until smoothie and creamy. Then add in each remaining ingredient mixing well between each addition.
Recipe tips and variations
- If you don’t have powdered sugar, you can easily make it in your blender using regular sugar.
- We recommend using whole-fat cream cheese for its richness.
- Use a good quality cocoa powder and vanilla extract for the best flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, cream cheese frosting must be refrigerated to prevent it from spoiling. Weather permitting, you can leave them out frosted for up to 2 hours. If it’s too hot outside, we suggest keeping them indoors until they are ready to serve.
We store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 cup butter softened. If you're using unsalted add in 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa Powder
- Melt the milk chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolate with a spoon and place it back in the microwave for another 15 seconds if needed, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Be careful not to overdo it, as the chocolate will burn.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, place cream cheese and butter into a large bowl and mix on medium speed until there are no more lumps and the mixture is creamy. Add the remaining ingredients in intervals mixing in between each addition. (Melted chocolate, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla)
- Use right away or refrigerate until ready to use (using within 1 week).
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!