Our Easy Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe is excellent for entertaining and it’s a great side dish to bring to holiday parties too! You’ll love this pasta with veggies recipe once you make it, it’s such a simple recipe. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias
We’re a pasta loving family! When I think of pasta, I think of comfort food whether it’s smothered in cheese, sauce, or even a lightened up side dish with veggies, we eat pasta often.
Quality pasta is a must for our family. We love using fresh zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, and of course fresh garlic. The main part of the meal is pasta, though, and we look for quality pasta when we’re making our pasta dishes.
With Barilla® pasta you have a ton of options! You can easily find Barilla Pasta at your local Target. 🙂
Why we love our Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe
It’s absolutely delicious, but that’s not the only reason. It’s a great option for those who prefer not to eat meat. It’s filling with tons of fresh cooked vegetables. If you leave out the cheese it’s vegan and everyone can definitely enjoy! Pasta stretches out the meal and completes it. We can make the whole meal with pasta, or have the pasta as a side dish. It adds bulk to the menu, and everyone loves pasta! Most pasta dishes are quick and easy recipes.
Also with the Barilla pasta, we traditionally use the Classic Blue Box, but the Protein Plus is a great option if you’re going meatless and would love to add more protein to your meal.
Barilla pasta available:
- Classic Blue Box
- Protein Plus
- Gluten Free
- Whole Grain
- White Fiber
- Also – Pronto- One Pan. No Boil. No Drain
My family is a huge fan of their mini pasta too, like the Mini Farfalle and Mini Penne.
This veggie-filled pasta is a great option for gatherings. It’s warm and comforting in the winter, or you could even serve it cold during the summer!You could make this dish a day ahead, letting the flavors develop. Plus, it also makes it even easier to bring to holiday parties since you can serve it hot or cold!
I love to bring a vegetarian option whenever we go to our family parties since our family usually focuses on the meat. There’s always sausage, ham, turkey, but not much sides. Our Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe is a must at parties, it’s delicious and nutritious too.
My daughter and her cousins love pasta so having this vegetarian side dish is a great option for the littles. When you tell them there’s red and green for the holiday they get even more excited. My daughter isn’t a huge meat eater and loves her vegetables!
By adding in zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, and mushrooms we ensure that we’re providing a balanced and nutritious meal. Barilla is a big part of the Mediterranean diet, and those who want to live a healthy lifestyle and of course enjoy delicious food.
This is one of our favorite vegetarian penne pasta recipes and we hope you enjoy too! Looking for more pasta recipes? Try our Tri Color Pasta Salad which is ALWAYS a hit too!
Easy Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1 Box Barilla Penne Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large cloves garlic , chopped
- 2 large zucchini , chopped
- 1 10 z container sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes , sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt to taste
- *parmesan cheese
- *crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large pot bring salted water to a boil and add in penne pasta.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet add the olive oil, butter, and garlic and cook over medium heat and cook for a few minutes to allow the garlic to flavor the butter and oil.
- Once garlic is tender add the zucchini and mushrooms.
- Cook until the zucchini is slightly tender and remove and add the cherry tomatoes and parsley and salt.
- Make sure to remove pasta from water once al dente, reserve 1/2 to 1 cup of cooking water.
- Toss together the veggies, pasta, pasta water, and garnish with parsley, parmesan cheese, and chili flakes optional (leave off for kids).
I’m at my Target store so often that Kay can easily tell me where the Barilla pasta is now or maybe it’s because it’s close to the ice cream section, haha!