Looking for a Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe? This one is delicious and it’s GREEN and one of our favorite healthy mac and cheese recipes for kids. We even call it Hulk Mac and Cheese! 😉
My mini chef LOVES mac and cheese. If it was up to her she’d eat mac and cheese all day, every day. I’m always looking to make a healthy mac and cheese recipe that she will love. We have so much fun making recipes together. When it’s green, she gets a bit iffy, just like every kiddo.
However, after one bite.. she’s begging for more!! We went to our local market at picked up some beautiful kale and broccoli for our healthy mac and cheese recipe. She wanted to make it as soon as we got home, so for breakfast.. we had our healthy mac and cheese!
I’m so happy how far she’s come along in the kitchen. It’s come to the point where I can just hand her the whisk and she knows exactly what to do. Even how to freeze so mama can take a picture. She’s too funny, “take a picture, mama!”.
We love taking tons of pictures and videos to share, but also to look back on our beautiful memories cooking together.
She’s so proud of her delicious GREEN healthy mac and cheese 😀
Want even more green fun? Our mini chef loves to make homemade fresh guacamole too!
How to make our Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe
Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup broccoli
- 2 tablespoons grassfed butter
- 2 tablespoons organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup grassfed organic milk
- 1/2 cup organic shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- In a large frying pan melt the coconut oil and saute the kale and broccoli.
- In another pan melt the butter and whisk with flour.
- Add in the salt and (1 1/2 cup) milk while whisking on low heat.
- Sprinkle in the cheeses, melt in and remove from heat.
- In a high speed blender puree the kale and broccoli with (1/2 cup) milk.
- Pour the veggie mixture into the cheese sauce and whisk on low heat.
- Dump in the macaroni and stir to combine.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started and how to link up!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate, link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Original Rice Krispies Treats // Momma Lew
- Chocolate Dipped Sundae Marshmallows // Baby Loving Mama
- Homemade Chicken Meatballs // We’re Parents
- Mini Pizza Pot Pies // Frugal Novice
- Alphabet Snack H is for Hippo // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Peep S’Mores Bites // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Easy to Make Hamantaschen // Vegging at the Shore
- Turn Recipes into Memories with a Keepsake Cookbook // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Whole Wheat Pretzel Bites // O’Boy! Organic
- Carrot Cake Dip with Easter Bunny Chips // Can’t Google Everything
Ashley - Baker by Nature
So fun! I bet my nephews would go crazy over this one 😉
Perfect! I love the idea of incorporating healthy vegetables in with the Mac and Cheese. What a great way to get those little ones to get their greens, and enjoy them.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes)
Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
What a great dish! Love that it’s healthy!
nicole @ I am a Honey Bee
I love getting kids involved in the kitchen!
Lauren Gaskill | Making Life Sweet
I am drooling over this right now! And the color … absolutely amazing!
This looks SO good! I love all the healthy veggies in here!
Can we use spinach instead of the kale?
I’ll bet this is great! My two year old daughter would totally love this! I just bookmarked it to make for St Pat’s Day!
It’s great how well she does helping in the Kitchen! We love mac and cheese too. I love this healthy version.