We love to make these Marshmallow Snowman for hot chocolate! They make the best hot chocolate toppers, and they’re easy enough for kids to make on their own or with a bit of help.
Our marshmallow snowman hot chocolate toppers are SO easy to make, and they’re so fun to make too! Kiddos will love to add them to their homemade hot chocolate or hot chocolate mix. We always have hot chocolate when the weather gets colder, and what better treat would this be after an afternoon of playing in the snow?
Our family loves to make marshmallow snowman hot chocolate toppers for hot chocolate for us all the time. They also make for the perfect homemade DIY holiday gift along with our snowman hot chocolate bombs. We love adding them to our hot chocolate charcuterie board as well!
Ingredients and notes:
- Jumbo marshmallows – This can be made with traditional marshmallows or even vegan marshmallows.
- Black Icing Pen – We like making this super easy, so we use storebought icing in a bit of squeeze bottle. You could also use melted chocolate in a piping bag or Ziploc bag.
- Sprinkles – For the nose we use a round sprinkle, but you could also use orange icing, a jelly bean, or even candy corn.
In addition to the ingredients, you’ll also need a pair of clean kitchen scissors to slice the marshmallows in half.
Step by step instructions:
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make a marshmallow snowman see the recipe card below.
- Carefully slice the marshmallows in half using a clean pair of kitchen scissors.
- Draw faces on the marshmallows to make them look like a little snowman, and then place a dot of icing in the center for a nose. Place a sprinkle on top of the area for the nose.
- Enjoy as-is or place in your favorite hot chocolate.
- If you’re making a lot you can use a little avocado or vegetable oil on the scissors in between batches so that the marshmallows don’t stick too much after cutting.
- Make a fun night of it with your kids and their friends! You can have them decorate their own hot chocolate toppers they can take home.
- If you don’t want to use chocolate icing you can also use edible markers or melted chocolate. We find the icing gel is the easiest to find in grocery stores.
- For the nose we use an round orange sprinkle but you can use any edible orange candy like candy corn, jelly beans or even icing gel or melted orange chocolate.
- We use jumbo marshmallows, but if you can’t find them, you can use regular size marshmallows. About 2 should fit in your hot chocolate depending on the size of your mug.
How to store:
To store, we like to dust the bottoms of the snowman toppers with a little powdered sugar. We then place the marshmallows into an airtight container and recommend enjoying them within 1 week.
How to serve
Our snowman hot chocolate toppers are perfect for your favorite hot chocolate. We like pairing them with our dairy free hot chocolate mix for gifting as well.
To prevent the bottom from getting hard we suggest dipping into some powdered sugar. They should be stored in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out. We use them within 5-7 days.
Absolutely! My daughter loves to eat them without having a glass of cocoa.
You can, but the tricky part is drawing a complete face on them.
more hot chocolate recipes
Marshmallow Snowman Hot Chocolate Toppers
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe 🖤 Save
- 10 jumbo marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon black icing
- 1 teaspoon round orange sprinkles you'll need 20 sprinkles
- Slice the marshmallows in half using a clean pair of scissors.
- Use the black icing pen to dot faces on the marshmallows and make them look like little snowmen.
- Dot in the center of the marshmallow for the nose and add one orange sprinkle as a nose.
- Enjoy as is or place in your favorite hot chocolate.
- Grease the scissors to prevent the marshmallows from sticking. We use a little avocado oil or vegetable oil.
- If you can’t find jumbo marshmallows you can also use regular sized marshmallows but they won’t be as big.
- Dust the bottoms of the marshmallows with a little powdered sugar before storing. Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 5-7 days.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!