This Meatball Soup makes for a hearty and comforting meal. Fresh ground beef meatballs with a flavorful tomato and beef broth with pasta and veggies. Serve with dinner rolls for a complete meal.
Who doesn’t love a good homemade soup recipe? From Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Broccoli Soup, and even Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup! We love comforting soup recipes, and this Meatball Soup recipe hits the spot. It’s pure comfort and cozy in a bowl!
- Ground Beef – Don’t like ground beef? You can also use ground pork, ground turkey, or ground chicken. In a hurry? Use frozen meatballs and cook according to package directions.
- Onions – We use onion in our meatballs and the meatball soup.
- Breadcrumbs – We use our Homemade Bread Crumbs. Our favorite dairy-free parmesan cheese is Violife or Follow Your Heart.
- Parmesan – We love Violife or Follow Your Heart for dairy free.
- Egg – This helps the meatballs come together, but you can omit them if needed.
- Milk – We use Oatly for dairy free.
- Olive Oil – We use olive oil to saute the veggies.
- Celery – We only use fresh celery and onions to reduce prep time.
- Crushed Tomatoes – Don’t discard the juice. This adds flavor to the soup.
- Beef Broth – If you don’t want beef broth, you can use chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables – Add your favorite veggies! We go for peas, carrots, green beans, and corn.
- DitalIini Pasta – We go for a smaller pasta. You could also use elbow noodles.
- Seasonings needed to add flavor: Granulated Garlic, Parsley, Italian Seasoning, Basil, Thyme Oregano, Salt, and Pepper
How to make meatball soup
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F to bake the meatballs.
In a medium bowl, mix all of the meatball ingredients until just combined.
Then take a small cookie scoop and make evenly sized mini or standard meatballs. Transfer them to a lined baking sheet.
Roll the meatballs in your hands to make them rounded and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping once in between the cooking time. Ensure the meatballs are at least 160°F with a meat thermometer.
While the meatballs are cooking, heat olive oil in a dutch oven of medium heat and cook the onion and celery for about 4-5 minutes.
Add the canned crushed tomatoes with juice, beef broth, seasonings, and frozen mixed vegetables. Bring the soup to a boil.
Reduce the heat and then let it simmer. Add the meatballs and pasta. Once the pasta is cooked to desired texture, serve.
Recipe tips and variations
- Don’t want to make meatballs from scratch? You can also use frozen turkey, beef, or pork meatballs.
- Add some freshly grated parmesan cheese to the top of the soup before serving for flavor and presentation. Violife is our preferred dairy free parmesan cheese for grating, but follow your heart also has excellent dairy free cheese. We also use some chopped parsley.
- You can add more veggies like mushrooms, potatoes, or even broccoli. We sometimes add greens like escarole, spinach, or kale at the end too.
- We always love using fresh vegetables when possible, so you can use fresh for this recipe instead of frozen. Frozen just cuts down on the prep time and you still have nutritious veggies!
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3-4 days.
- Freeze: To freeze, place it in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. I recommend not adding the pasta if you plan to freeze it as it can become mealy.
- Reheat: To reheat the soup, we use a saucepan and heat until the meatballs are warm throughout and the soup is hot. You can also chop the meatballs, so it warms up more quickly.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, plop them into the soup at the same time as the pasta if they’re small. For larger meatballs, add them before bringing the ingredients to the dutch oven to a boil.
We love adding potatoes, mushrooms, kale, spinach, or escarole. You can add your favorites!
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef (can also do a combo of beef, pork, veal, sausage, etc)
- 1/4 cup onion grated or finely diced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs we use homemade Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan optional, we use vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk we use full-fat oat milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2-1 cup ditalini pasta or elbows
- Preheat the oven To 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the meatball ingredients until just combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop to make even sized meatballs, transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Roll the meatballs with your hands to make them and bake at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes flipping once in between. Use an instant-read thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the meatballs, it should be 160°F.
- While the meatballs cook, heat olive oil in a dutch oven of medium heat and cook the onion and celery for about 5 minutes. Add in the crushed tomatoes with juice, beef broth, seasonings, frozen vegetables, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add in the meatballs and pasta. Cook until the pasta is done and serve.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!