Red Velvet Truffles are a delicious dessert using boxed cake mix. You can easily use this recipe for Christmas, Valentine’s Day or any special occasion. Use your favorite sprinkles to decorate! This is a guest post from Lisa Marie.
Make these red velvet truffles with cream cheese frosting for a delicious combo, after all, red velvet cake is pure perfection with cream cheese frosting! Get the kids involved making this easy recipe. Once the cake is done baking you can have them roll the red velvet truffle balls while you melt the white chocolate. Some even call these cake pops or cake balls.
ingredients for red velvet truffles
- softened butter
- chocolate cake mix
- canola oil
- red gel food coloring
- cocoa powder
- cream cheese or vanilla frosting
- white chocolate or white candy melts
- coconut oil
how to make red velvet truffle balls
This recipe makes about 32 truffle balls. Once the cake is fully baked you can crumble it up to mix it with the frosting, this is the fun part for the kids!
Roll it up into balls to make and then you’ll want to chill them before coating in the chocolate.
Once you coat in the chocolate you can top with your favorite sprinkles or even drizzle some white chocolate over top of them as we did with our oreo cookie balls.
We find that these red velvet cake truffle balls are best when they are served chilled. You can easily mold into different shapes, smaller or larger, have fun with them!
tips for the best red velvet truffles
- you can use any melted chocolate from white chocolate, dark chocolate or even milk chocolate.
- use parchment paper or Silpat on your baking sheet for easy cleanup
- allow the cake to cool completely before crumbling
- refrigerate the truffles after decorating for around 30 minutes
- you can even add sprinkles or mini chocolate chips into the truffles
- if you want to use dipping tools when dipping the truffle you can, but we find that a plastic fork with the two center prongs broken off works well and it’s affordable!
- if you don’t want to use chocolate cake mix you can use red vevlet cake mixed with frosting
Red Velvet Truffles are a delicious dessert using boxed cake mix. You can easily use this recipe for Christmas, Valentine's Day or any special occasion. Use your favorite sprinkles to decorate!
- 1 teaspoon softened butter for coating the pan
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp red gel food coloring
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ cup cream cheese frosting
- 2.5 cups white chocolate can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- sprinkles of choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch circle pans with softened butter then coat it with flour. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix together chocolate cake mix, buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Continue mixing until all ingredients are combined.
Add cocoa powder and continue mixing. Then, add red gel food coloring and continue mixing.
Pour batter into each pan and bake for 25-28 minutes. Remove from pan and allow for the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, crumble your cake into fine bits. Then, add vanilla frosting and mix (you’ll have to get messy and use your hands for this).
Roll the cake into spheres about 1 to 1.5 inches in size. Place gently on a lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Once time is up, microwave white chocolate and coconut oil in 30-second intervals until completely melted with a spoon between each interval.
Dip each sphere into the melted chocolate and coat. Place back onto lined sheet and top with red sprinkles.
Place back into a refrigerator for another 20 to 30 minutes and serve. Enjoy!