Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is an essential ingredient in the kitchen for many recipes. This soup can easily be made dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
If you’re looking for a delicious substitute for cream of mushroom soup this is it!
I have never really loved the canned cream of mushroom soup. I always felt it lacked flavor and I always wanted more mushroom bits. Making it homemade you can control the ingredients, the sodium, the herbs, the amount of veggies. It’s really fresh and super delicious.
Recipe ingredient notes
- Mushrooms – We use baby bella mushrooms for more flavor.
- Onions – Yellow onion is preferred, they add great flavor.
- Oil – This is needed to sautee the veggies.
- Herbs and seasonings – All about the flavor!
- Flour – We use flour to thicken the soup.
- Chicken Broth – We use our own homemade chicken broth to control the sodium and flavor. You can use vegetable broth and plant based milk to make this a vegan cream of mushroom soup.
- Milk – We use oat milk to make it a dairy free cream of mushroom soup. Oat milk thickens up beautifully
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make condensed cream of mushroom soup see the recipe card below.
Chop the onions and garlic.
Heat oil in a large skillet00 pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, and mushrooms and cook until they’re tender.
Slowly pour in the vegetable broth and milk, whisking constantly to incorporate. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is thickened and bubbly.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover cream of mushroom soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 7 days.
- Freeze: To freeze cream of mushroom soup place it in an airtight freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, that is what we love about this recipe, you can customize it to fit your needs.
Yes! To do that just leave out the mushrooms and add celery instead. Also very delicious!
We do not recommend using canned mushrooms as it doesn’t have the same flavor.
We recommend using gluten free flour that you’ve had success with or just going with cornstarch. You’ll add 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch to the cold milk before mixing it into the pan.
Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each of granulated garlic and onion if needed for more flavor
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until they’re tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, and flour and stir until the vegetables are coated. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk, whisking constantly to incorporate. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is thick and bubbly.
- Once the condensed soup is thickened remove from the heat and use as desired or allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before refrigerating.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!