Our dairy free pancakes are fluffy and flavorful. Make these from scratch pancakes for a delicious dairy free breakfast.
These dairy-free pancakes are so delicious you won’t even know they’re dairy free! If you’re anaphylactic to dairy or avoiding dairy due to breastfeeding, you know just how hard it is to go out and enjoy a good breakfast with everyone due to most kitchen limitations. We have never found a restaurant or diner with dairy-free pancakes on the menu, but they need to get this recipe, ASAP!
They’re fluffy and full of flavor. We add sugar to the batter to make them slightly sweet, but not overly sweet so you can still add syrup. You can also add your favorite mix-ins to make a fun-flavored pancake.
Recipe ingredients and notes:
- All-purpose flour – We use all-purpose flour, but you can use your favorite gluten-free blend if you’re celiac or gluten-free.
- Cinnamon – This adds a very tiny amount of flavor, it brings it together!
- Baking powder – We use this to create fluffy pancakes, it helps them rise.
- Sugar – To add sweetness, you can also use your preferred sweetener.
- Salt – To balance all of the flavors.
- Oat milk – You could also use your preferred dairy-free milk.
- Vinegar – We use vinegar in our oat milk to create a dairy-free buttermilk, these are like dairy-free buttermilk pancakes!
- Vanilla – Use real vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Egg – If you cannot use eggs you can also use banana, applesauce, or even a flax egg.
- Avocado oil – We use avocado oil to add a bit of fat. You could also use you’re preferred dairy-free butter melted.
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make dairy free pancakes see the recipe card below.
In a bowl combine the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients: oat milk and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the milk to curdle to become a diy dairy-free buttermilk.
You can also add the vanilla, egg, and avocado oil after it sits.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and let sit for 3-5 minutes until you see it start to get a bit airier from the baking soda. Once combined you can add in any optional mix-ins or do it in the skillet.
Heat a skillet with avocado oil on medium heat prior to placing the batter.
Place a 1/3 cup full of batter into the pan and cook the pancakes 2-3 minutes per side. You’ll see bubbles start to form and then you can flip.
Remove the pancake from the pan once fully cooked and stack the pancakes on a clean plate.
Serve and enjoy.
Recipe tips and variations
- Make it fun by adding in fresh fruit, chopped up Oreo cookies, or make them dairy free chocolate chip pancakes!
- You double or triple the batch and make freezer pancakes so you can have pancakes whenever there’s a craving or have breakfast ready for school mornings.
- Our kiddos love when we add chocolate chips or sprinkles and make mini pancakes so they look like cookies. They’re great for on-the-go and a handheld breakfast without the syrup!
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: You can refrigerate leftover pancakes for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze pancakes for about 2 months. We like to freeze in an airtight container. If you want to prevent them from sticking to each other you can use parchment paper between them or flash freeze them separately first..
- Reheat: To reheat leftover pancakes place them on a lined baking sheet in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 5 minutes until nice and warm. You can also do 30 seconds in the microwave or 1-2 minutes on a hot skillet.
How to serve dairy free pancakes
We love serving pancakes with some warm syrup and fresh fruit.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, we use oat milk but you can also use your preferred dairy free milk.
Yes, you can make this a vegan pancake recipe by swapping out the eggs for your favorite egg substitute. You can also try out our vegan pancake recipe.
Absolutely! We like to add fresh fruit, chocolate chips, or even Oreo cookies!
Dairy Free Pancakes
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- In a bowl combine the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the oat milk and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the milk to curdle. You can also add the vanilla, egg, and avocado oil after it sits.
- Mix the wet into the dry mixture and let sit for 3-5 minutes until you see it start to get a bit airier from the baking soda.
- Heat a skillet with avocado oil on medium heat prior to placing the batter.
- Place a 1/3 cup full of batter into the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side. You’ll see bubbles start to form and then you can flip.
- Remove the pancakes from the skillet once fully cooked and stack the pancakes on a clean plate. Serve and enjoy.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!