Slow cooker chicken taco soup is loaded with shredded chicken, sweet corn, two varieties of beans, and taco flavor in each bite. This dump-and-go crockpot meal is perfect for any night of the week.
Add on your favorite toppings and serve up a dish that will wow your whole family. A kid-friendly recipe that will leave you wanting more.
The best part is that the prep is minimal and makes quite a bit. I love to use leftovers to prep for lunches. This chicken soup recipe reheats nicely.
- Chicken – Reach for boneless chicken. You will shred or dice it up once it is done, so you want to ensure there are no bones.
- Seasonings – You can make homemade taco seasoning or use a packet of taco seasoning.
- Chicken Broth – If you can’t find broth, you can easily swap it with chicken stock.
- Beans – Black beans and pinto beans are what we used. Now, you will drain the pinto beans and leave the black beans undrained.
- Sweet Corn – Buy frozen corn to toss in the soup. It adds a nice sweetness to the soup.
- Onion – Use yellow or white onions. These two varieties are better for cooking.
- Rotel Tomato Paste and Roasted Tomatoes – The two really add so much flavor to the crockpot taco soup recipe.
- Toppings – You don’t have to do toppings, but some of our favorites are cheese, chips, sour cream, etc.
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make slow cooker chicken taco soup see the recipe card below.
Add your chicken broth, tomato paste, and taco seasoning into the crockpot. Stir well to incorporate the mixture.
Next, you will lay your chicken in the mixture and then add the rest of the remaining ingredients.
Place the lid on and cook on high for 5 hours or low at 7 hours.
Remove the chicken once it is fully cooked, and shred or dice. Then return to the crockpot.
Return the meat and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Once done, ladle up this slow cooker soup and top with your favorite toppings.
Recipe tips and variations
- You could swap the beans with chili beans if you wanted. Or do kidney beans instead of black beans.
- You are welcome to cut the corn off the cob or drain it and add canned corn instead of frozen corn.
- Cook up ground beef or even ground chicken and use that to replace the chicken.
- Drizzle the crockpot soup recipe with fresh lime juice once before it is done. It will really enhance the flavor.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any chicken taco soup leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days.
- Freeze: To freeze taco soup, place it in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for 3-4 months.
- Reheat: To reheat this crockpot chicken taco soup, you can use the microwave to reheat or on the stovetop. Just heat until the soup is warmed all the way through.
How to serve
For this chicken soup, you can serve it with some tortilla chips on top, cheese, sour cream, or more. If you want to pair something with your soup, consider a salad or some crisp vegetables with a dip.
Frequently asked questions
The chicken will take around 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 on low. Depending on the thickness of your chicken will depend on how long it takes to cook.
To thicken the soup, you can do 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water. Stir into the soup at the end of cooking and let it sit for a few minutes. It will thicken the soup quite a bit. You can repeat the process if you want the soup thicker.
What you will do is add all the ingredients into a large pot. Bring the mixture to a full boil. Then lower to simmer and place the lid on. Let it simmer for 30 minutes up to 1 hour. Check to see if the chicken is cooked through. If so, remove, shred, and replace in the pot. Then serve the chicken taco soup with your favorite taco toppings.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips or Strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare a 6-quart slow cooker with a plastic liner for easy cleanup. (optional for easier cleanup)
- Whisk the chicken broth, taco seasoning, and tomato paste in the slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts and remaining ingredients (aside from toppings) into the slow cooker.
- Stir everything together and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred them with a fork or a hand mixer. Add them back into the slow cooker and stir. Cook for another 30 minutes or until the chicken is completely done.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings like chipotle cheese tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream or cilantro.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!