Cake Mix Donuts are super easy to make and a fun dessert for summer when you make them as S’mores Donuts! Let the kids get in the kitchen with this fun summer treat.
S’mores scream summer, you can host a fun s’mores ice cream party and have tons of different treats all with s’mores! They’re so fun to make outside or you can even make them s’mores in the oven indoors. We love making s’mores marshmallow bites for parties, we even had them as our wedding favors in custom little boxes.
You can make baked donuts in the oven or even use a countertop convection oven so you don’t heat up the house.
Making donuts with cake mix makes them easy peasy. Best of all there’s no frying as these are baked donuts.
HOW TO MAKE DONUTS WITH CAKE MIX
To make these cake mix donuts you only need a few ingredients to make these cake mix donuts and you may already have them on hand!
You’ll need a yellow cake mix, an egg, vegetable oil, and water. For the donut frosting, you’ll need butter, chocolate chips, sugar and then the topping is smores cereal.
Follow the directions in the recipe card to ensure the perfect cake mix donut. Do not follow the cake mix instructions.
MORE SMORES RECIPES:
- S’mores Marshmallow Bites
- S’mores in the Oven
- S’mores Waffles
- S’mores Pizza
- S’mores Pudding Pie
- S’mores Kiss Cookies
- S’mores Cookie Cups
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Use pastry/piping bag to pipe the donut batter into the donut pan. It makes it so simple and also you can easily fill the pastry bag by putting it into a cup and then putting the filling in that way.
- Ensure the donuts are cooled before dipping into the frosting, this makes it easier to frost and they won’t fall apart.
- If you can’t find S’mores Cereal you can use crushed up graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
S'mores Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter – cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3-4 cups S'mores cereal
Making the donuts:
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, egg, vegetable oil and water and mix until well combined.
- Using either a large Ziploc bag with the tip cut off or a piping bag, fill the bag with your batter and fill the donut pan wells about 1/2 way. These will rise a lot so be sure not to fill too high.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the edges of the donuts are golden brown.
- Let the pan cool for about 10 minutes before removing the donuts. Carefully remove them from the pan and allow the donuts to cool completely so they firm up for easier dipping.
Prepare the frosting:
- Using the double broiler method on the stove top, melt the butter, chocolate chips and sugar until a nice creamy texture has been reached.
- Dip each donut into the chocolate frosting and then immediately into a bowl of crushed smores cereal. Allow the donuts to sit and harden up a little bit. Enjoy!