Rich and creamy Broccoli Potato Soup, so comforting and perfect with fresh bread or saltine crackers. Easy to make dairy free or vegan soup.
We make broccoli potato soup often, and for good reason. It’s so darn delicious! You can serve this with fresh bread and feel full after one serving. You could add some white beans or chicken to add more protein, like our Oven Baked Chicken Breast!
Ingredients and notes
- Butter – We use this to cook the veggies in the beginning and also help thicken the soup by making a roux with the flour.
- Onions – Yellow onions are our preferred soups.
- Celery – You can leave the celery out, but we find it gives the soup great flavor.
- Carrots – Save time by using shredded carrots in a pinch.
- Garlic – If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic.
- Thyme – We love adding thyme to soups. You can use your preferred herbs if you don’t like thyme.
- Nutmeg – While nutmeg is delicious in desserts, it also adds a nutty note and warmth to soups and even mac and cheese.
- All-purpose Flour – We use flour in addition to milk and blend the soup to make this soup thicker and creamy.
- Oat Milk – We’re dairy free, so we use oat milk, but you can also use regular whole milk.
- Chicken Broth – To make this a vegan broccoli cheddar soup, you can use vegetable broth instead.
- Broccoli – Cut time by using frozen broccoli, but we prefer fresh if possible.
- Potatoes – Russet potatoes make this soup creamy and have the best texture for a comforting soup.
- Cheddar Cheese – We use Follow Your Heart finely shredded cheddar cheese to make this a dairy free soup.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to make Broccoli Potato Soup
Saute the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots with butter in a dutch oven. Add thyme and a bit of salt and pepper.
Then add in the flour to create a roux. Mix in the milk well to combine, and then add in the broth.
Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Then add the broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes.
Blend 2 cups of the soup and then stir in the cheese and mix until melted. Serve as desired.
Recipe tips and variations
- Don’t like broccoli? You could swap the broccoli out for cauliflower.
- This soup is easily made dairy free by using plant butter, oat milk, and vegan cheddar cheese.
- Add more potatoes if you love them. I’ll often double the potatoes because our kiddos love them!
- Add some frozen corn at the end of the cooking times for a bit of a crunch and some sweetness.
- Add more veggies to make this a delicious vegetable chowder.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3-4 days.
- Reheat: We heat the soup in a saucepan. You can add more water or oat milk if you need to thin it out.
How to serve
We love serving with Homemade Dinner Rolls, Garlic Bread, or saltine crackers.
Frequently asked questions
Due to the potatoes changing texture after freezing, we do not recommend freezing this recipe.
YES! We love putting this into a pie crust. We recommend using only 2 cups of milk instead.
Yes! You can skip the flour, and then when adding in the cold milk, just mix that with 1/2 the amount of cornstarch for flour. For the recipe, as written, you’d use 1/4 cup of cornstarch.
Broccoli Potato Soup
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter we use country crock plant based for dairy free
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk we use full fat oat milk for dairy free
- 3 cups chicken broth use vegetable broth for vegan
- 3 cups broccoli chopped
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese we use follow your heart finely shredded cheddar cheese for dairy free.
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots until soft. Add in the thyme, nutmeg, a bit of salt, and pepper, and cook for another minute to bloom the spices and herbs.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and mix until the flour is absorbed.
- Whisk in the oat milk and stir until the flour mixture is blended well, then stir in the broth.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes on low heat, stirring as needed.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender and fully cooked add the broccoli and cook until the broccoli is cooked to your desired texture.
- In a blender, blend 2 cups of the soup.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and add 1 cup of vegan cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste and serve as desired.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!
Leave a Reply