Brown Sugar cookies are delicious cookies without white sugar, just brown sugar! The flavor is deeper, like a caramel, chewy in the middle, crunchy on the edges. This brown sugar cookie recipe is a must make. Add sprinkles or even mini chocolate chips for more flavor and fun.
I love my easy sugar cookies, but I also really love my brown sugar cookie recipe. I can’t really pick a favorite between the two, they both have their own flavors and textures, and both really work well. During the holiday I’ll even make both my traditional sugar cookie recipe and brown sugar cookies.
Our chewy brown sugar cookies are excellent on their own, but you can top them with your favorite toppings too! We like adding sprinkles or mini chocolate chips. When you add chocolate chips it’s will taste like a delicious chocolate chip cookie!
To make the cookies flatter you can just flatten them with the palm of your hand. If you don’t want them flat just keep them rolled in a ball. When the cookies are done baking I always SLAM the baking sheet onto the countertop to flatten the cookies. This will make the cookies crinkled looking, I love doing this and do it with most of my cookie recipes.
How to make brown sugar
What is brown sugar? Brown sugar is just regular sugar mixed with molasses. To make brown sugar you just need to mix one cup of white sugar with one tablespoon molasses. What’s the difference between light and dark brown sugar? The difference between is just the amount of molasses. More molasses is used in dark brown sugar and it has a deeper, more complex flavor.
How to make brown sugar cookies
Brown sugar cookies only use brown sugar, there is no white sugar in the cookies. They have a rich flavor, almost caramel like. If you use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar they will have a rich toffee flavor.
Brown Sugar Cookie Ingredients
- butter – we use grass-fed, real butter
- flour – we use unbleached all-purpose flour
- vanilla – we use real vanilla, not imitation
- eggs – we use organic pasture raised eggs
- baking soda
- baking powder – we use aluminum free baking powder
- salt – we use pink sea salt
You can easily double or triple this recipe. If you want you can dip the batter by the spoonful into sprinkles.
When you’re baking the sugar cookies recipe it should be done in a preheated oven. We set our temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 8 minutes. Once the 8 minutes are up we slam the baking sheet onto a flat surface, careful if you haven’t done this before the pan is HOT and you don’t want to hurt yourself or surfaces. By slamming the pan down you make the cookie dough flatten out. Doing this will give you flat, chewy brown sugar cookies.
Easy Brown Sugar Cookies
More Cookie Recipes
- Easy Sugar Cookies – a good old fashion sugar cookie
- Black and White Cookies – a staple in NYC, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried a black and white cookie
- Raspberry Cookies – these are sweet, delicious, and use natural food dye
- Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies – these cookies are stuffed with chocolate and caramel, topped with a little sea salt
- Frozen Yogurt Fruit Bark Cookies – a no-bake cookie that is healthy and sweet
- Lactation Cookies – healthier cookies, not just for nursing moms!
- Giant Cookie Recipe – this recipe makes one giant sugar cookie, it’s fun and delicious
Brown Sugar Cookies
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe 🖤 Save
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour unbleached
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer bowl combine the butter and brown sugar.
- Mix butter and brown sugar until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the brown sugar mixture and mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients.
- Once the mixture forms a dough, stop mixing.
- Use a small cookie scoop or your hands to form cookies.
- Roll the cookies into balls and dip into sprinkles if you want sprinkles on your brown sugar cookies.
- Flatten cookies if you want them thin and crispy.
- Bake the cookies for 8 or until lightly golden brown, careful to not overcook.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.