This cast iron Chicken and Mushrooms recipe is so flavorful! Juicy boneless skinless chicken thighs covered in garlic butter mushrooms.
Cast iron seared chicken thighs covered with tender mushrooms that are bursting with flavor, this is a must make dinner recipe. It’s perfect for entertaining and we even love making it for meal prep over some pasta.
Don’t love chicken thighs? Use your favorite cut of chicken like chicken breast or chicken legs. Just make sure you’re cooking until the chicken reaches a safe temperature which is 165 degrees F.
If you love mushrooms you’ll love our Baked Cream of Mushroom Pork Chops, Air Fryer Mushrooms Recipe Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe, and Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Mushrooms and Artichokes.
Recipe ingredients and notes
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – You can also use bone-in chicken thighs, but you’ll need to cook longer.
- Granulated Garlic – We prefer granulated over powdered.
- Granulated Onion
- Avocado Oil – This is our preferred cooking oil for over 10 minutes.
- Butter – We are dairy free and use Country Crock Plant Butter, but you can still use regular butter.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms – These have more flavor than white mushrooms, but you can still use white mushrooms if you prefer.
- Parsley – Adds a bit of flavor and pop of color.
- Salt and Pepper – Enhances flavor
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make chicken and mushrooms see the recipe card below.
Pat the chicken dry and season. Sear the chicken and cook on both sides until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. It should take about 5-7 minutes per side. Don’t turn the chicken over too early, or it will stick to the pan.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and then add the butter and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and season, and then serve together.
Recipe tips and variations
- If you’re doubling this recipe, you’ll need to cook the chicken in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Don’t want a ton of mushrooms? You can use one of the smaller packages. We love a lot of mushrooms, so we use the family pack of mushrooms in this recipe.
- To add creaminess, add a 1/2 cup of heavy cream if desired.
- Balsamic vinegar and mushrooms just go together, to add more bitter notes you can use a bit of balsamic vinegar.
Storage and reheating tips
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover chicken and mushrooms in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3-4 days.
- Reheat: To reheat you can use your oven or air fryer or oven at 375 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes flipping once. You could also use the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, white button mushrooms will work, but baby bella (portobello mushrooms) have much more flavor.
Yes, we use dairy free butter, but you can use regular butter if you’re not dairy free.
Absolutely! We love adding zucchini or asparagus too.
Chicken and Mushrooms
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter we use dairy free butter
- 20 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoons granulated garlic or 6 cloves raw garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley chopped fresh or dried
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel and then trim off any excess fat. Combine seasonings and coat the chicken on both sides.
- Heat the avocado oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side. Do not flip until it lifts easily off the pan. Remove the chicken once it reaches 165 degrees F and then place it into a warm oven or wrap in foil on a plate to stay warm.
- To the same cast iron skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Scrape up the chicken bits to flavor the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are softened and browned, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Serve the mushrooms over the chicken and enjoy!
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!