These are a must-make Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe! They’re so good and so easy to make. You’ll love this recipe if you enjoy endless breadsticks at Olive Garden!
There’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of Pasta e Fagioli or Meatball Soup with these delicious fresh breadsticks! You could make these without soup and serve them with your preferred meal and salad. We have plenty of different soup recipes to choose from too!
Olive Garden is our favorite place to dine for our dairy free diet due to food allergies. Did you know their breadsticks and breadsticks topping is completely dairy free??
- Warm Water – Aim for about 105-110 degrees F to bloom the yeast.
- Active Dry Yeast – We have only used active dry yeast for this recipe.
- Sugar – This adds sweetness and feeds the yeast.
- All-Purpose Flour – You could also use bread flour, although you may need a little less.
- Olive Oil – We have also used avocado oil when out of olive oil.
- Salt – This balances the flavor of the breadsticks.
- Butter – We use a dairy free butter by Country Crock.
- Garlic Powder – You can also use granulated garlic, but you’ll need a little less.
How to make Olive Garden Breadsticks copycat recipe
Bloom the yeast with warm water and sugar by letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Combine the flour, salt, and oil with the bloomed yeast mixture and mix until fully combined. Only add more flour if needed, and do not overwork the dough.
Once the dough is ready you can add some oil to a large bowl and then coat the dough with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm area to double in size for about an hour.
Once the dough has doubled you can punch the dough down and divide it into 12-15 portions. Roll them into breadsticks around 8-10 inches long.
To bake, place them 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Cover again with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rise for another hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F when about 45 minutes have elapsed.
Bake the breadsticks for 6-7 minutes.
While the breadsticks are baking, combine the butter, garlic, and salt and melt.
Brush half of the butter mixture onto the hot breadsticks and then bake for another 6-8 minutes.
Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining sauce, and serve warm.
Recipe tips and variations
- You could make smaller breadsticks but cook them for a little less time.
- If you’re not going to serve them right away you can hold off on using the garlic butter mixture until ready to serve.
- Want some color? Add a bit of fresh chopped parsley.
- Like cheese? Sprinkle on some grated parmesan cheese.
Storage and reheating tips
- Freeze: You can freeze before or after baking for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: We like to reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for about 3-4 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
We haven’t used any other flour aside from all-purpose and bread flour.
Yes! We actually use Country Crock Plant Butter which is naturally dairy free and a good vegan butter for baking.
Bread Sticks Olive Garden Copycat
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1½ cups warm water 110 degrees F
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3½-4 cups all-purpose flour use less or more if needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it with butter, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Allow the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the yeast to activate. It should be foamy.
- Add the flour, salt, and oil to the warm water yeast mixture. Mix with a Danish whisk or use a stand mixer and mix until fully combined. The dough should be smooth, add more flour if needed. Do not overwork the dough.
- Grease a large bowl with some avocado oil or olive oil and add the dough to the bowl, turning to coat the dough in the oil. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set it in a warm area for about an hour to allow the dough to rise. It should be doubled in size.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 12-15 portions. Roll each piece into 8-10 inch breadstick shapes and space them about 2 inches apart onto the baking sheet. Cover the dough with a damp kitchen cloth or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F about 45 minutes into the rising time.
- Place the baking sheet with the breadsticks into the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes.
- While the breadsticks are baking, combine the butter, garlic, and salt and melt on the stove in a small saucepan or a microwave-safe dish in the microwave.
- Once the breadsticks are done baking brush them with half of the butter mixture and bake for another 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the breadsticks from the oven and brush with the remaining butter mixture.
- Let the breadsticks cool for a few minutes before serving.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!