Our Frosted Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars are bound to be the highlight of the table. A soft and flaky sugar cookie bar topped with a rich and creamy peppermint frosting.
A frosted sugar cookie bar recipe that is perfect for the holiday season. Whip up this peppermint sugar cookie bar for a holiday potluck, to gift loved ones, or to nibble on for a festive treat.
It is so easy to make these sugar cookie bars from scratch, and the peppermint buttercream style frosting throws them over the top in the flavor department.
We love quick and easy recipes for the holiday so this one is sure to please, but we also have quicker and easier like our Rolo Pretzels or Christmas Rice Krispie treats.
Peppermint sugar cookie bars ingredients and notes:
- Butter – unsalted butter is what I used. If you use salted just omit the butter in recipe.
- Granulated Sugar– the sugar helps to add the perfect amount of sweetness to the cookies.
- Egg– make sure to use room temperature eggs. That way you get the ultra creamy texture of the batter.
- Vanilla and Almond Extract – the secret ingredients to the perfect sugar cookie bars recipe. It adds tons of flavor.
- Salt and Baking Soda – make sure the baking soda is active and not expired.
- Powdered Sugar – for the frosting you will use powdered sugar. Sift if you want to ensure it is even creamier.
- Heavy Cream – the heavy cream will add a richness to the frosting but also help it to become creamy and thick.
- Peppermint Extract – find this in your baking aisle. It will add a nice minty flavor to the frosting.
- Crushed Peppermints – you can use candy canes or mints that you chop up into crushed pieces.
Step by step instructions:
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make these frosted peppermint sugar cookie bars.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Start by creaming the softened butter and sugar together in a bowl. This takes a few minutes to get it nice and creamy.
- Add in the egg and extracts, and scrape down the sides. Then you will work in the dry ingredients.
- Bake the cookie bars and allow them to cool. Then whip up the frosting and spread on the cooled sugar cookie bars.
- If you use unsalted butter just leave the salt out in the cookie recipe.
- If you prefer to not have a mint frosting you can leave out the peppermint. Then it will be a classic sugar cookie bar recipe. You can also decorate with your favorite sprinkles.
- Add in some food coloring to the cookie bars if you want to change up the color.
- Refrigerate: Due to the frosting on these sugar cookie peppermint bars you will refrigerate for up to a week in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Freeze any cookie bars you don’t plan to eat. Just store in a freezer approved container for 3-4 months. Thaw on the counter for an hour or i the fridge overnight.
How to serve
Serve up the cookie bars with a tall glass of milk or in a tray with other festive Christmas bars, cookies, and treats.
Sugar cookie bars are done when they turn lightly golden brown on top. You can take a toothpick and stick in the center of the cookies. If it comes out clean of wet batter the cookies are done.
Don’t want to make a full batch of cookie bars? If so, split the recipe in half and then bake and frost the same way. You would use an 8×8 or 9×9 size pan if you split the recipe in half.
Add 1/4 teaspoon instead of the vanilla and almond extract into the cookie bars. This will give the sugar cookies themselves mint flavor.
more Christmas recipes
- Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
- Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts
- Christmas Cheese Board
- Christmas Tree Holiday Brownies
- Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars
Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermints
Sugar Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13x9x1 baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs, both vanilla and almond extracts; mix until combined.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
- Press the dough onto the baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes, until a light brown color is formed around the crust. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Once combined add in the extracts and 2 tbsp of the heavy cream.
- Mix until creamy, if the frosting is too thick then keep adding heavy cream 1 tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Spread the frosting over the bars and top with the crushed peppermint.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!
Leave a Reply