Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies are bite size cookies baked to perfection. No chilling, freezer-friendly, and can easily be made dairy free, nut free, and vegan with swaps.
We love chocolate chip cookies! Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? So what could be better or just as good? Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies, of course!
These bite size cookies are fun to make and enjoy. We love making them around the holidays to gift or enjoy at home. You can place them into little boxes as a gift or even use them to fill a breakable chocolate heart for Valentine’s Day; what fun!
Recipe and notes:
- Salted Butter – I’m dairy free and our son is allergic to dairy so we use earth balance butter or country crock plant based butter. We find that this recipe works well with both regular and dairy free butter. If you use unsalted butter you’ll need to add about 1 teaspoon of salt. Always use softened butter.
- Sugar – We recommend only using granulated sugar.
- Light brown sugar – Make sure you’re using light and not dark brown sugar. Dark brown sugar has more molasses and a stronger flavor.
- Vanilla – We recommend using a good quality vanilla extract, no imitation extracts.
- Eggs – We use large eggs and take them out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to making the chocolate chip cookie dough. If you cannot have eggs you can also use a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
- All-Purpose Flour – Regular old all-purpose flour is what works best for these cookies.
- Cornstarch – Using cornstarch in cookies helps give the cookies a softer consistency.
- Baking soda and baking powder – Both baking agents are a must for chocolate chip cookies and help the cookies rise.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – It wouldn’t be a chocolate chip cookie without chocolate chips! We use mini chocolate chips as we’re making mini chocolate chip cookies.
- Dried fruit
- Candy bar bits
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make mini chocolate chip cookies see the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Cream together the sugar and butter together in a stand mixer. Next, combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Next, add the eggs and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture.
Once that is combined, you’ll combine the wet and dry mix (do not overmix) and then add the chocolate chips.
Use a teaspoon measuring spoon to ensure consistently sized and baked mini cookies.
Use a teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop 1 teaspoon of cookie dough, and then place about 24 cookies onto your baking sheet.
Roll the cookies and then top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
Bake the cookies for 6 minutes in a 375 degree F preheated oven.
The cookies should be light on the top and golden brown on the top.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to continue cooling on a wire rack.
Recipe tips and variations
- Don’t overbake the cookies! No more than 6-7 minutes top for these in a preheated oven when using 1 tespoon of chocolate chip cookie dough.
- To ensure your oven is cooking at the correct temperature we suggest using an oven thermometer to check.
- I like to use a teaspoon measuring spoon and the back end of a sugar spoon to scoop out the cookie dough.
- Don’t want to make all mini cookies? Use half the mix for mini chocolate chip cookies and then you can make regular cookies with the rest of the batch or even freeze the cookie dough for another time. See our regular chocolate chip cookies post on how to freeze cookie dough.
- Add a few chocolate chips or chunks to the tops of the cookie dough balls before baking. This will make your cookies pretty when they come out and look full of chocolate chips on the top not just inside.
Pictured below, the left cookie didn’t have any added chocolate chips after placing them onto the baking sheet. The cookie on the right had 3 mini chocolate chips added before baking.
Frequently asked questions
Take the butter out about 30 minutes to an hour before baking. Doing so ensures the butter is the right consistency. If it’s too soft it can cause the cookies to spread too much.
You’ll start to see a slightly golden brown edge to the cookies, and the cookies will appear fluffy and look almost done. If you want until they look completely cooked, and edges are darker brown, they will be overcooked.
Homemade cookies should last about 5 days in a cookie jar at room temperature.
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
click the stars to rate this recipePrint Pin Recipe
- 2 sticks salted butter we use dairy free, but you can use regular
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs sub with 1/2 cup applesauce for vegan
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt only if using unsalted butter
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips enjoy life brand
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips to add to the top of cookies before baking
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer cream the butter, light brown sugar, and sugar together until creamy. Then add in the eggs and vanilla and beat for another 20 or so seconds until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks using a rubber spatula.
- Use a teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop 1 teaspoon of cookie dough and then place about 24 cookies onto your baking sheet. Roll the cookies and then top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake the cookies for 6-7 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for another 2 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the baking sheet and continue cooling on a wire rack.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
So nice to have you here! Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @courtneyssweets #courtneyssweets on Instagram so we can share it!